It's my first post here, so I guess I should provide a short intro. My name's Andie, and I'm seventeen years old. I'm truly stumped with this health issue. The description will be as brief as possible, providing important details.

Last April, I had a bad pizza from Dominoes, and.. it came back up. I threw up to the point where the next day, my face was red with capillaries. My stomach, naturally, felt awful for the next few days. The nausea and discomfort subsided for for around two weeks. After that period, it returned. Anything I ate upset my stomach. Even on an empty stomach, I had an odd (very uncomfortable) bloated feeling. I felt like I needed to burp.. all the time. Something was there that I couldn't get out. Simultaneously, I ran into serious depression. I never knew if the depression triggered the lasting stomach problem, or if it was the other way around. I tried every procedure my parents could think of. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT, etc. I tried different diets. No gluten, no dairy, etc. Nothing helped. This lasted from April until late fall. Acid reflux would pop up here and there along with the nausea and bloated feeling.

This past winter was heavenly for me. The problem was gone. I was free to bike, play basketball, and do everything else I used to do. I'm very athletic. I could eat without fear of pain.

..Now again, in April of '09, the problem returns. A few days ago, I had some spaghetti, and this time, that triggered the initial vomiting. Since that night, I have felt the same way I did a year ago. Now, again, burping is hard (even though I feel like I need to), bloating is ever present, nausea, incoherent bowel movement patterns, etc.

This is embarrassing to talk about, I will easily admit. I can't tell if this is some sort of allergy, or if it's plain old IBS, or if it's psychosomatic. I haven't been having any emotional issues lately. Not as bad as last year, at least. Depression does run in my family, according to my parents. If I've rambled, I apologize. I've never gone to forums for help about this.

If you have any input or questions, please don't hesitate.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Your symptoms of upper abdominal pain, that is getting worse when having a meal, feeling of fullness, being bloated, nausea, vomiting, belching, heartburn are result of dyspepsia or indigestion (difficult digestion of food).
This happens due to GERD, gastritis and peptic ulcers.
Due to the seasonal character of your symptoms it is very possible that you are having either gastritis or stomach ulcer.
Endoscopy should show the characteristic changes of stomach lining or a stomach lining biopsy is performed to check the changes.
Gastritis and stomach ulcer, have seasonal character, relapsing (showing symptoms again) in spring season.
Stress, skipping meals, contribute for these conditions.
You should be tested for Helicobacter pylori infection.
|

replied April 14th, 2009
H. Pylori has been mentioned a few times by both friends and doctors. I can't recall if there was ever any concrete conclusion to that possibility. Thank you very much for your help. I'll definitely look into this.
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
The H.Pylori infection is the most common, but not the single cause for gastritis or ulcer.
There are many different causes and conditions linked to this problem.
Use of certain medications like steroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, iron tabletes, autoimmune disease, or pernicious anemia, viral, fungal, other bacteria infections.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied April 15th, 2009
H. Pylori
I called my doctor(s), and it turns out that I was tested for H. Pylori in the past. It came out negative. I guess this is both good and bad news, but I do not know where to go from here. As aforementioned, my testing last year was extensive and all came out negative and normal. This is what led to my belief that my problem was psychosomatic or some sort of somatoform disorder. I just don't understand why it's coming back during the same time.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These features are suggestive of functional GI disorder but celiac disease should be ruled out.
I would suggest you anti TTG.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.