User Profile
Im not sure exactly what my dr said, i was kinda freaking out, but trying to be calm. When she called she said they found an abnormal cell from my pap. I dont remember if she said it was HPV or it could be. I remembered it all and wasnt to worried, until she said, its curable if caught early, but it could lead to cancer. Than my mind kinda went blank and lost everything else she said and just thought about that word, cancer. She said she wants me to make an appointment to get a colposcope and biopsy.

What should i expect? I heard the biopsy hurts alot. I only had sex with one guy with out a condom, so im guessing i prob got it from him, but should i tell the guys i had sex with before him, even though we used a condom?

Also, i read on a site, that if you had inflimation it could also make an abnormal pap, i had a yeast infection and a bacterial infection, should i get another pap done and than make an appointment to get the colposcope?

Sorry for all the questions im really scared! Im only 20, and the word cancer scares me alot, i didnt realise anything like that could happen so young, and i have tried to be really careful.. i never let a guy come close to me with out a condom until i met the last guy, we dated for a year, and i thought i would be with him for the rest of my life so i thought it was okay.


Thanks for any help you can give, or any stories.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
Most cases of abnormal Pap smear (it is a screening tool, not diagnostic one) results do not indicate cancer.
As you said inflamed or infected cervix (sexual activity day or two before the PAP test), can give result with ATYPICAL cervical cells. In that cases, another PAP smear, or, colposcopy is suggested.
If your results are DYSPLASTIC cervical cells or precancerous, it's expectable for you to have HPV infection with a high-risk type of HPV (virus linked to cervical cancer)
This is usually followed by coloposcopy.
Only, lab evaluation of biopsy sample taken during colposcopy, can be a definitive diagnosis.
It's good to know that the body's immune system usually gets rid of HPV on its own within a year or two.
And, when it stays, it takes 5-10 years to cause cervical cancerous changes.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i went through this as well, i've only been with one guy, my current bf, and finally dragged myself to the gyno for birth control...when they did my pap mine came back irregular as yours and my gyno said I had hpv though it was minor, she set up a colposcopy for me and said she just wanted to take a closer look a few months later to see if it had improved or anything and if not then we'd move on with the biopsy, the colposcopy doesn't hurt at all..i was freaked out like you, i've only been with one guy but the reality is that 1 in 4 women who are sexually active will contract some form of hpv in their lifetime...the guy can carry it and not even know bc it doesn't affect men..SOME strands, the more agressive ones, can lead to cervical cancer and some can lead to warts...anyway, for me the colposcopy came back fine and i was told to come back in 6 months for another pap...6 months later my pap was normal...alot of times the body can sort of get rid of the hpv itself(not completely since its a virus but get rid of the symptoms) and you'll be fine...I never had to go through the biopsy so i cant tell you how that is but good luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2008
Experienced User
So if you dont have the genital warts one, how do you know when you have to be carefull to not pass it on? I know you prob have to be carefull 24/7 after you find out you have it, but is there a time when you cant pass it on? can you pass it on to your partner if your body gets rid of the hpv?

I feel really bad like ppl arnt going to want to be by me or date me. I know i should of been more carefull.

If i use a condom i shouldnt pass it on right? Not that im even thinking about having sex until after im married now, i dont want to pass it on to any other girls.

And how all can you pass it on? is it only threw genital to genital contact, or from body fluid from your genital area? or can it be transfered say, he fingers me, than a week later fingers another girl, could she get it from his hand? How about if he eats me out, could the virus stay on his lips and his next gf can get it if he eats her out?? Sorry i just want to understand

Thank you guys for writing me and helping me out, it means alot to me.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The presence of HPV infection with HP viruses that cause genital warts, can be determined or confirmed with some special laboratory tests.
This is important, because, genital warts, usually, appear within 3 months of "risky" sexual act.
Some infections can stay dormant, without symptoms for months or even years, and the "owner" of HPV infection won't be aware of its presence.
Another reason why special tests are important to diagnose the infection, is because some of the warts are small less than one millimeter (visible only with an enhancing technique) and because of their location (warts can be hidden inside the vagina, cervix and at the urethral opening)

So, if you worry about having HPV infection related to genital warts, ask your gyn for further laboratory tests.

You shouldn't feel bad about having genital warts, cause it is very common infection and very easily transmitted.
About transmission...it happens through body fluids during sexual intercourse, through direct skin to skin contact (fingering, too) (genital warts can be located at scrotum, inner thighs, anal area), and through oral sex (genital warts tend to grow at moist environment such as mouth and throat).
Transmission is most likely when warts are present, and, possible, but, much less likely, when no warts are present.
Using condom is not as effective barrier for genital warts, as it is for the other STD's.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2008
Experienced User
So I went and got my colposcopy wen, and they found some white on my cervix so they took a biopsy of it, what happens now? what does it mean? What i think it means is it could be pre cancerous cells or cancer but im kinda confused on it. Or does everyone who has hpv have some white? If its not to bad, will the dr do a wait and see thing, or because there was white is it more serious?

Thank you guys so much for answering my questions. You guys have really helped me alot
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
White areas seen with colposcope may or may not indicate precancerous cell changes.
That's why the biopsy is performed, to confirmed or excluded the diagnosis of precancerous changes.
Few things are taken in consideration when colposcopy is performed, like how white the tissue goes after using acetic acid, how quickly the tissue turns white, how smooth or irregular the surface is, and if there are different patterns of the blood vessels under the surface of the cervix.
Although precancerous changes aren't a cancer, the reason why the treatment is offered is to reduce the risk of a cancer developing in the future (50% chances still to have the same changes after 20 years, 30% chance of developing cervical cancer and 20% chance of having returned to normal spontaneously).

Have a good day!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2008
Experienced User
Thank you much, you have been so helpfull
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You have no alarming signs of cancer.
Biopsy is not a very painful procedure.
It would indicate inflammation.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.