Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Possible fungal ear infection? What do I do?

Years ago I was prescribed zithromax. I took the pills as I should but was not told to go on probiotics. Soon after I got a massive fungal rash on my back, and got bad dandruff. Later, I noticed that I had what seemed to be "ear dandruff", and my ear was sometimes itchy. After months of tryin I finally got rid of the rash on my back, but the dandruff has persisted for years. Now I have had a painful earache went to the hospital emergency room one evening. I was prescribed an antibiotic suspension for my ear. I researched ear infections and found that fungal infections get much worse if an antibiotic is used on them. Is there a chance my ear could be infected with the same fungus that is causing my dandruff? I don't know what to do, I am in great pain but afraid to fill the antibiotic prescription. I read that a mixture of cider vinegar and peroxide would take care of the infection. What should I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Flightofthepigeon,

It is unlikely that you have had a fungal infection in the ear canal for years, without any symptoms. As to the antibiotics, usually it is only with very high doses and/or when they are taken for extended periods of time, do they cause problems with fungal infections.

The high doses or prolonged use can change the usual flora, eliminating certain organisms, which then allows the fungal infection to pop up.

As to what you should do, that’s up to you. If you want to try to treat the condition with the vinegar and peroxide for a short time, to see if it works, that’s a possibility. If it works, great. If it does not, then you should probably try the antibiotics.

If you are concerned about taking the antibiotics, contact your physician for advice.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....