Hi all,
Thank you for reading my post and I would appreciate your help and comments.
I am a very worried female. I am not sure whether you will reply but just wanted to ask you for your opinion. HIV has caused me a lot of stress and anxiety over the last year. My risk was being fingered, but it was very brief, one off, in/out for couple of seconds. Nothing alerted me then as I wasn't educated how HIV transmits. After few months I started reading about STIs because I had some strange things happening with my body. I then got worried that this guy could have had blood on his finger, which I didn't see and this is how he's infected me. Since then HIV became a phobia for me. I was spending hours reading online. I was so scared to go and test. Finally, after months of agony, I went to test - exactly 8 months since the fingering episode. I went to a clinic and had a rapid test done - Insti. Then they also drew blood from my arm for normal lab testing. The Insti was negative. What worried me was that the control dot seemed to me a lot lighter than what I've seen on google images. It was visible and no other dot appeared so the nurse said it's negative and didn't seem to be concerned about the color of the dot. Few days later I called the clinic, the other test was also negative. Later I asked what test was performed and they told me - Abbott Architect. They also tested me for syphilis, Hep B and C - all negative. This was back on April. I calmed myself for some time but now the fear is back and the questions...What if I am one of these people who seroconvert later than 6 months, even a year...What if the tests weren't done properly.....What if they gave me someone else's results...etc. I don't want to live like this anymore.
From your replies, it seems that you are quite knowledgeable and I would very much appreciate if you reply to me. Please, only tell me about how reliable is INSTI rapid test and is there anything that can cause my tests at 8 months to be false negative.
Please, just spare me a minutes and tell me what you think. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2018
As per the mode of exposure, it is not a high risk exposure and most of your concerns appear due to anxiety or panic attack like situation.

There is no need for you to be worried about.

Relax for the moment, but consult a psychiatrist for help to manage your anxiety disorder.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.