For several months now I've been having this insane runny nose. Clear watery fluid that I believed was allergies but couldn't be helped. It would just go away on its own. I noticed much more frequent and apparently unexplained headaches. I started doing some research and found a story of a man who went with a runny nose for 13 months before he was diagnosed with a spontaneous spinal fluid leak. My researched yielded that the fluid must be tested for glucose by glucose oxidase method.

I am a medical laboratory scientist so I took a few urine test strips and tested the drainage from my nose. Sure enough it tested positive for 100-150 mg/dl of glucose. (I read a publication stating that urine or diabetic test strips are sufficient for this test) I was terrified upon finding this out and I have an appointment scheduled for next week at an ear/nose/throat doctor. But I wanted some unbiased input from a community at large, is this something I need to be concerned about? Am I blowing smoke? I certainly don't want to waste a doctor's time, but the leakage is seemingly without a cause (no sickness, no head injury), it is very occasional (two or three times a month) but is just copious amounts of clear watery fluid. I have tested the fluid several times since and it always comes back positive, sometimes up to 200 mg/dl glucose. I do notice a headache sometimes before or after a leak. Like I said this has gone on for a few months but it seems like every time it lasts a little longer (up to several hours) and goes away for no apparent reason. It makes it very difficult to do my job and interact with patients and other staff. I appear disgusting and unprofessional when my nose is literally dripping everywhere and I can't make it stop.

Also I just turned 26 in November, other than aortic stenosis congenital defect I am completely healthy, slightly overweight. I feel like I am too young for this (?)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2014
Thank you for your question. You definitely have very valid concerns, considering you symptoms. It makes a perfect sense to see an ENT and probably neurosurgeon. There is a problem with your fluid test for glucose however. The reading is too high for the CSF. Normal CSF Glucose is about 50 to 80 or 2/3 of the serum. If you have no diabetes these numbers are not realistic. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.