Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Possible complications from Bells Palsy, symptoms of MS

thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

I'm a 22 year-old male

On 12/9 i was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy (paraylsis on one side of face). I took meds for a week and it went away. On 12/27, I started feeling mental discomfort (hard to describe), and an off-balance feeling, though I have been moving around just fine, fatigued, and eye discomfort. Yesterday I went to a PA. He gave me some physical tests which I passed. He speculated that I was having complications from whatever caused the Bell's Palsy, but they took my blood to test for other things (still waiting on results).

He said if I don't get better in 10 days, they'd send me to a neurologist, as I'd be a good candidate for MS. However, he thought the odds of that happening were 1 in a 100.

I looked up the MS symptoms. Since then (past 18 hours), I've been feeling a bunch of them. I'm numb and tingly, throughout my face and especially on my left side (lower leg, arm). I also think I'm having some twitches in my leg. Still enduring is this very strange mental discomfort, which is like a weight. Incredibly hard to describe. Also, I might be having bowel/bladder problems (not sure).

My question is how can this possibly be anything other than MS? All symptoms seem neurological. I'm not nauseous. I don't have a fever. This strange mental discomfort is not a symptom of Bell's Palsy. My suspicion is that I never had Bells Palsy, it was facial numbness from the MS.

My inclination is to run into a neurologist asap, but I'm not sure I can get an appointment. Maybe I should call that doctor and beg for him to fastrack me into a neurologists?

I would tremendously appreciate insights of any sort. Thank you very much in advance.

PS
On the bright side, speech is normal, and no painful muscle spasms yet.

I have one hope. In the past 2 years, I've been the ER twice for physical symptoms that were induced by anxiety. I doubt that's what this is given this strange mental discomfort (is this what is meant by brain fog? how do people describe this?) and that the PA didn't think that was a factor. But just putting it out there.

PSS
Can anyone help me describe the mental discomfort. is this what is meant by "fog"?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2014
Thank you for your question. Reading description of your complaints did not reveal any symptoms that would make me to suspect MS. MS usually produces pretty much localized and detectable on neurological examination findings. Mental discomfort is not a typical one. I appears that you are panicking now. Calm down, go to see a neurologist and get relief of your concerns.By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|

replied January 8th, 2014
I was told to take a test for MS 10 plus year ago. Didn't know about it at all. Well, it hurt me bad.
I have Degenerative Disk Disease, Bipolor. Hep C.
And I'm squirming bad. To cold to go to the ER.
Chiberia, IL. I just looked up MS today. I can'y ardly eat a banana. It's so healthy, it makes my throat swell up. So Sad....
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Multiple Sclerosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.