Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Possible bipolar boyfriend help

I think my boyfriend is bipolar. His mom says that he has been diagnosed but that he never got treatment. He jokes that he is but also jokes that he has a demon in him that messes up the best things in his life. We are technically on another break. He will wake up sometimes in these moods and be awful for a few hours. He will call me the most awful things and criticize everything that I do. That I'm not direct enough or social enough. Then say things like there is no connection between us and that he doesn't see any future. Then later he apologizes and asks me to forget all of it because he didn't mean any of it. He can be so loving and shower me with how great I am for him, how he has hope again. Then later when he gets angry again its back to calling me name and criticizing. This time is different. We were cuddling this morning in bed and he was giving me kisses and being so sweet. Then turned over abruptly and said that he hates sleeping in the same bed and would rather cuddle his pillow. I was going out for coffee and he told me he loved me. Then when I got back he was angry again and said that we just weren't compatible and he kind of wasn't into me anymore and that we should take a break. What made it different this time is that he changed his FB status to single and started posting all of these things about fake love. When I messaged him and said I would come tomorrow and leave the key he gave me on the dresser he told me to hang on to it. Why? Does that mean he may change his mind? I'm devastated right now. We were supposed to move in together and start a future and now this. Has anyone had this sort of problem with a bipolar person and if so, do you think he may come back? And if he does and we start again, how do I deal with the mood swings? I love him so much but I hate the way he makes me feel. I don't want to lose him. I just want to know if there's hope for him to return and how to handle the abrupt moods if he does. I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just so confused and distraught right now
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and would like to help

He might have bipolar and need psych evaluation for proper diagnosis.
One diagnosis is confirmed he would be started on mood stabilizers and supportive treatment.

It's difficult to be in relationship with a bipolar patient and requires patience but violent behaviour should not be tolerated.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr khalil
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Coffee
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.