Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

possibility of a depressive disorder?

User Profile
Hi i have been suffering for years with depression and over the last couple of years i have had the following symptoms

Depression - sometimes thing ending my life is the only solution
Anxiety- panic, fast heart beat, have to catch my breath, sometimes chest pains
everything seems to be too stressful for me like answer a simple question
irritable
mood changes frequently daily
get so angry very easily - sometimes to the point i just want to get a knife a slice my wrist
can't sleep
always tired
don't take care of myself anymore - go days with out a shower and wear dirty clothes
don't want to eat
headaches daily
paranoid people are talking about me, don't like me
anti social - don't talk to anyone unless they speak to me first and i only answer them with short answer. sometimes freeze and mind goes blank
very forgetful
don't leave my house unless i have to.
scared to meet or talk to people i don't know.
always want to be alone.

what do you think is wrong with me?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2011
possibility of a depressive disorder?
Hello.

Your symptoms do suggest a possibility of a depressive disorder, most probably Major Depressive Disorder. In depression, you experience negative feelings about self, others and about the future as well. This is a suggestion based on your symptoms. You can consult Psychiatrist in your area for clinical evaluation and diagnosis. If it does turn out to be a depressive disorder, you may consider taking anti-depressants as prescribed by your doctor. The medicines usually take 4-6 weeks to show full effect. In addition to anti-depressants, you can also take medicines to improve your sleep quality. There are newer non-addictive sleep inducing medicines available today.

It is likely that you may need to explore your thoughts and beliefs, which could be creating the depression and anxiety. Research has shown that psychotherapy in combination with medication can show significant results. Psychotherapy can give you the answers to your questions. Make sure you approach psychotherapy as a way of digging deep, exploring problem creating thoughts/beliefs and modifying them for a better emotional experience.

Lastly, it is important to get a diagnosis from a qualified mental health professional. It is also important to follow the prescription advice. Stopping anti-depressant medicines abruptly might create more problems due to discontinuation syndrome. (with Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor class of medicines).

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.