Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Poor sleep quality remembering dreams

Dear all,
Im experiencing the following situation which perhaps some of you can advise me better.

History
Back in 2005, I experienced a sleep disorder condition that lasted everyday for almost a year. I would sleep with ease, but would remember my dreams very clearly and wake up feeling not rested and tired through the day. Prescribed medication did not help. I tried all means i.e. exercising, meditation etc, all did not work. But after a year of torment, the condition just randomly left me after a year when I started full time work & undergrad studies.

Over the years
I do still get this problem especially when Im overseas for short / long trips. It seems quite random as sometimes it happens, sometimes it don't.

Present
The same issue revisited me and its Day 6 already. Same thing, I would go to sleep but having very vivid dreams (not nightmares) and wake up feeling tired / unrested. Sometimes halfway through the dream, the ringing of telephone etc (in reality) would suddenly wake me up and it feels as if someone had just pulled you out of the dream. Can anyone advise? Im out of ideas Sad((
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 4th, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
More info needed. Tell us about your normal sleep schedule. Consistent? Random?
|

replied August 5th, 2014
Typically Im a very heavy sleeper (no snoring issues etc). Im usually in bed by 1+ to 2am and will be up at 8 t 9am. Sometimes my day-night cycle turns around i.e. I work through the night and sleeps at 8am or so (Im a postgrad research student, so I work through the night at times when there's inspiration to write). Generally as long there's about 7 to 8 hrs of deep sleep, I will be fine.

I last had this sleeping issue (vivid dreams / waking up tired) early last year when I relocated to another country. It finally went away after 3 weeks when I tried taking an off the shelf herbal base supplement. Retrospectively, it might have been a placebo effect.

In the events leading up to this, here's what happened: about 3 weeks ago, I went for a blood donation, fell really fatigue after that and had been dozing off about 6+ to 7pm and sleeping for 10-13 hrs straight. At the same time, I was hit with a bad bout of stomach flu and was very sick. This lasted until a week ago when I finally stopped dozing off so early in the evening but then came this vivid dreaming / poor sleep quality issue.
|

replied August 5th, 2014
Typically im a heavy sleeper (no snoring issues etc) zzz from 1-2am to 8+ am in the morning. There's the occasional day-night reverse (work through the night & sleeping only at 7+ to 8 am in the morning). Generally with 7-7.5 hrs of deep sleep, Im good to go.

The last time I had this issue was early last year when I had to relocate to another country. The vivid dreaming issue lasted for almost 3 weeks and went away almost immediately after I had to resort of an off the shelf herbal supplement. Retrospectively, it might have been a placebo effect but it did work.

Here's what happened in the weeks leading up to this current issue: Went for my first blood donation about 3 weeks ago and felt very fatigue after that. Was sleeping as early as 7pm for a straight 12-13 hrs. This went on for almost 2 weeks right up till Hari Raya while I had a series of very bad stomach flu. Then the current sleep issue came out of non-where from last Tuesday...
|

replied August 6th, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
Based on what you've said, I'd suggest starting with the simple things first and see how it goes.

Presuming you have no underlying medical issues, your sleep schedule could be a prime culprit for what you're experiencing.

In short, consistency helps. Reversing your days and nights massively disrupts your mind and body's natural circadian rhythm, which is one of the main internal controlling mechanisms for sleep.

So I'd suggest setting and keeping as much as possible a consistent wake up time 7 days a week. Subtract 7 to 9 hours max from that for your consistent bed time. Give yourself at least a couple of weeks to adjust to this sort of consistency and see how you do.

Relocating to another country could involve a jet lag issue, which is another form of a circadian rhythm disruption.

Also important is to expose yourself to bright light, preferably daylight, immediately upon awakening.

Keep us posted.
|