Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Poor dental hygiene, think I've periodontal disease, advice?

I'll make this short, I'm 21 and my last visit to a dentist was last August for an extraction of wisdom teeth and a follow up around September for a cleaning. I think I've Periodontal disease and I know if left untreated it can really cause terrible illness like increasing risk for cardiovascular disease. I am healthy, I eat the proper foods ( mostly vegetables, whole wheat grains, fresh fruits and fresh fruit or vegetable juice). I brush my teeth 3-4 times a day, floss 2-3 times, and I use a electronic toothbrush. Around last year, I noticed my teeth had began to separate a bit, and there are more spaces in them now. I'm really afraid of what's to come since I do not have insurance, do not live in an area where dental schools are located near by or within driving distance, and I have very little income.

As for herbal remedies, I've used Vitamin C tablets, and increased my intake on water, and vegetables. I've used a peroxide based toothpaste and a sensitivity based one as well since my teeth are a bit sensitive due to the separation and shrinking of the outer pair( incisors I think that's what they're called) . As a child, I was never taught proper dental hygiene , whenever I'd try to purchase dental floss, my parents would not allow me to get it.

Please, I need information on how to fix my teeth, if there are any discounted or low income based dental practices.
*also i do not have medicaid nor do am I eligible for it :/
:] Thanks the information would be greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 16th, 2012
Hi DarlingCristine,

Yes periodontal disease can cause tooth separation specially if it is accompanied with occlusal trauma, which means the mower and the upper teeth don't meet in a balanced way.
Brushing and flossing is more about the technique than how many times a day you do it. If you don't do it properly it wont matter how many times you do it. Electric tooth brush also need technique. There is no advantage if you don't know how to use it.
Consulting a dentist is always a good idea if you have any problems.
/

best of luck!
Bert
|

replied December 22nd, 2012
The routine you following has to be carried on without any carelessness, also you are required to consult a dentist as soon as possible so that any other precaution if required can be taken and particular treatment should be undergone as only taking precautions cannot remove disease.
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....