Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
User Profile
I was diagnosed with PV in 2017, switched doctors bc they couldn't give me any answers. Finally got into the cancer center which did testing. My GIEMSA stain test came back abnormal the pathologist report says Mild Erythrocytosis and Polycythemia. Jak2 test came back negative, my epo is normal, but my hemocrit and hemoglobin are high not extremely just a few points higher than normal. My NCHC is higher than normal, bun and bun/creatine ratio are both lower than normal range. Neotrophil is slightly higher than normal, anion gap is high, mean platelet volume is always low, ast/Scot is low, alt/sgpt is normal. The oncologist said I do not have the PV bc my Jak2 was negative but do have mild Erythrocytosis but I cannot find any information about Erythrocytosis that does not say that it isn't PV. So I am a little confused about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
JAK2 mutation is confirmatory test for PV.
Hence, you are safe.
Besides JAK2 there would be symptoms like headache, facial flushing and there will be spleen enlargement.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2018
Well there's the thing. I first went to the doctor and when they told me I had this last year I went bc I began having occular migraines and will go blind for hours, my blood gets extremely thick, I can't breath at all in humid air, that's why I went to the doctor last year. Not to mention when I take hot baths I am covered in hives shortly afterwards. But I am told none of these symptoms are related to PV bc of the neg jak2. This past week after numerous er visits for headaches, chest and abdominal pain I'm developing clots, my spleen and liver are now enlarged and my bp is uncontrollable. Plus they found swollen lymph nodes in my colon and intestines. I've been awake for three days now due to excruciating pain. I'm at a loss on what is wrong. I'm tired of being told I'm fine and not being treated for anything. I was convinced maybe it was all in my head until I got my ct scan results that proved it is not in my head. I'm so miserable and fed up.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.