Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Please help me figure these quite odd sleeping issues!?

Please help me figure out these strange sleeping issues. I'm 16 (male), and have no known psychological/mental illnesses. My father's side of the family has no known sleeping issues, however my mother was an intense sleep walker when she was young. I have always been a good sleeper and have had no sleeping problems aside from grinding my teeth and these rare occurrences. I've experienced nightmares, and I think waking up to hissing when I was young, but nothing besides that. Now, the past month I've had two different events happen which both woke me up and freaked me out. A couple weeks ago I experienced what I concluded to be a night terror. I woke up two hours into my sleep very confused and disoriented. I was panicking and felt very anxious for some reason too. To be quite honest, I felt like I had taken some sort of hallucinogenic drug. I could not think straight at all! I figured I best get up to my room and try to go back to sleep. What happened however was every time I would close my eyes I would begin seeing very vivid and intense dreams, or hallucinations if you would like to call them. I was making out objects from the darkness, and eventually thought that there was a man standing next to my bed trying to hurt me. I ended up playing games on my phone for an hour and then was able to sleep after my brain had calmed down. It was the freakiest experience of my life. Now the other event that happened was tonight. It was about 7 or 8 hours into my sleep and I was woken up by a thumping/clicking sound. It started out and kept getting louder and louder, almost like an alarm. It was on a 3 sec. interval, and clicked maybe 30 times. At some point I realized I was awake, and figured It doesn't matter, but then there was one final click, as if It was angry at me. It took a long pause, and then clicked as loud as it could, and I finally woke up. I checked my windows and doors and even looked outside and didn't see anything. It sounded like what I would compare to a wood pecker banging on my window, but surely enough there was no wood pecker to be found. Then I thought maybe my dog was clicking his teeth, but I don't think it would be that loud. Then I realized that if there was any animal within 30 feet of my house, my dog would raise hell in the middle of the night, but he was sleeping soundly. This leads me to believe that I hallucinated the sound, also I had deja vu. I feel like this has happened to me before because I have heard the sound before, but I probably thought that it was real, and brushed it off as unimportant. Now I'm quite certain it was in my head. I believe these two event are tied to stress, puberty, and lack of rest. The first time I was extremely worn out from marching band,and this time I was worn out from swimming. The season began two days ago. The closest thing to this, that I was able to find, is exploding head syndrome, but that's usually just one sound. Please help me figure this out, maybe I should go see a doctor? Could this be tied to anything else, all the way from eating something wrong to using recreational drugs. I'm just a guy who can't figure out what the heck is wrong! Thank you everyone for all of your input.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You would need sleep studies and thyroid function tests to sort out the problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.