Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

please can you help with Milia ?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
please can you help with Milia - some comments on the tread for milia are very encouraging but dont say what they did ? please can you advise ?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2011
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A25907
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Milia are tiny white bumps or small cysts on the skin that occur when dead skin becomes trapped in small pockets at the surface of the skin or mouth. In adults they can occur on the face. The bumps and cysts also occur on parts of the body that are swollen (inflamed) or injured. Irritation of the skin by rough sheets or clothing may cause mild reddening around the bump, but the middle stays white.

Skin and hair products you use every day could be contributing to the formation of milia. Scrutinizing ‎the lotions, makeup, hair gel and other products you use may make a difference in recurring milia. ‎Adding a gentle exfoliation to your skin care regimen can help renew the skin and keep pores clear. A ‎dermabrasion treatment or fruit acid peel can be done at home for a minimal cost and may go a long ‎way in helping rid yourself of milia.‎

Treatment in adults can be done by extraction of the milia. Under strict asepsis (after washing face with soap and water), the Milia is lanced at its center (gently) and a extractor tool is used to get out all the white keratin built up in the skin. This can be done by your doctor for you for best results.

I hope the information here is helpful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Acne, skin, acne skin
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.