Medical Questions > Mens Health > Birth Control - Men Forum

plan b one step birth control

me and my girlfriend were having sex and i came while inside her i was using a condom and i assume that because i was on top some of the sperm was pushed out. we saw alot on the outside of her vagina but hardly any inside. she took plan b one step around the 27th hour. she has had bad cramps since then and she pees frequently and this happened 13 days ago. any suggestions? is this normal? is she pregnant?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
johnboii,

So, let me make sure I have this straight. You were having intercourse with you in the top position. You were using a condom, which did not fail, rip, or come off during the act. After you withdrew, you noticed some secretions around the top of the condom and on the outside of your partner's genitals. The ejaculate was contained in the condom, except for the small amount around the top.

First, the fact that the vast majority of the ejaculate was held by the condom, and the condom was intact, the chances of pregnancy are very remote.

As to the symptoms following the use of Plan B One-Step, the following is taken from their official website:

The side effects of Plan B One-Step are generally mild. Some women may experience side effects similar to those of many birth control pills. These include:
* Changes in your period
* Nausea
* Lower abdominal pain
* Fatigue
* Headache
* Dizziness
* Breast tenderness

If you should experience severe abdominal pain, you may have an ectopic pregnancy and should get immediate medical attention.

The only way of knowing whether Plan B One-Step has worked is when you get your next period, which should come at the expected time or within a week of the expected time. If your period is more than seven days late, you may be pregnant.

Keep in mind, Plan B One-Step is less likely to work if:
* You have unprotected sex, or contraceptive failure again in the same menstrual cycle after taking Plan B One-Step
* You've already had unprotected sex or contraceptive failure earlier in your menstrual cycle
* You vomit within two hours of taking Plan B One-Step

So, you basically have to wait till she gets, or doesn't get, her period. As stated above, if she is late getting her period, she may be pregnant. If that is to occur, she should then probably do a home pregnancy test (HPT). Be sure to read the instructions on the box for the HPT, to make sure that it is done in the proper time frame.

Good luck.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Experienced User
thank you. to be clear the condom never came off or ripped and i assume because i was ontop that some sperm was pushed out there was some in the opening of her vagina but none inside. what is an ectopic pregnncy?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
johnboii,

Sorry, an ectopic pregnancy is any pregnancy where the fertilized egg implants somewhere other than the usual location, the uterus.

The usual place for an ectopic pregnancy to occur is in the Fallopian tubes. These are the tubes through which the egg travels, from the ovary to the uterus.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the fertilized egg stops in the tube, and begins to grow. Since the tube cannot stretch to accommodate the growing fetus, it will rupture, leading to internal bleeding, and sometimes, death.

So, young women who are of child bearing years, who are sexually active, and present to the physician with lower abdominal pain, an ectopic pregnancy always has to be looked for.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
|