Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Pituitary gland malfunction

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
User Profile
I am 42 years old and a single mum i had a hysterecomy 3years and still have milk coming from my breast, i have had test done i am not producing an extra hormone and the ultrasounds on my breast came back all clear. I have a throid problem and the last four years i have gone from a size 10-12 to a size 18-20 and i am not getting the answers from my doctor, about my weight i am sick of taking tablets that don't work especially the weight loss tablets, i have been put on the stronest and everyone else i know that is taking them is losing weight and i am gaining weight if you believe it, i have never been big person always a small built person. Please i am desparate i need asnwers, also i am sweating more than usual, even standing and doing my dishes i start sweating and end up with the biggest rash under my breast and i am also sick of the neck aches and backaches from my breast as they just keep getting bigger. Please help me i am desparate Thank You Elizabeth Schodel

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2010
Gland Disorders Answer A9193

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. From your symptoms one possibility that is coming to my mind is of pituitary malfunction. The pituitary gland produces prolactin( the hormone responsible for milk secretion ) and thyrotropin(signals the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormone). In case of any abnormality of the pituitary gland, the hormonal production of both these hormones is deranged and it may cause the symptoms that you are having.

My sincere advice is to consult an endocrinologist and get your prolactin levels checked and an MRI of the head which is a very sensitive test for pituitary tumors. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.