Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Pituitary and thyroid glands interaction

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
User Profile

I just did my throid test. But the doctor said that the result is very ambigous. So, I am not sure if i 3 8.2need to get a treatment or not. Please advise.

TSH 0.008 range: 0.4-0.5
FT4 8.3 range: 10.3-24.5
FT3 8.2 range: 2.3-6.3

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2010
Gland Disorders Answer A8947
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

In normal individuals there is a positive control connection between the pituitary gland and the thyroid gland. This means that if the FT4 and FT3 hormone levels are low, then the pituitary gland produces TSH as a result of the impulses of the thalamus(the releasing factors). TSH is the hormone that stimulates the thyroid gland to produce FT4 and FT3 hormones. In other words: 1. if the levels of FT4 and FT3 are low, the level of TSH should be higher; and 2. if the levels of FT4 and FT3 are high, the level of TSH should be lower. In certain conditions such as those affecting the pituitary or thyroid glands, the levels of any of these hormone can be increased.

Given the data that you described, of decreased TSH, normal FT4, but increased FT3, you may be experiencing a node on the thyroid gland. This node may be hormone productive. You may consider having a nuclear scan of the thyroid gland. If diagnosed with a node, you might need to have a biopsy to rule out a malignant tumor. You might also consider seeing an endocrinologist for further advice and diagnosis of your current condition.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an endocrinologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.