Hello,

On May 24, 2014 or thereabouts I contracted bacterial conjunctivitis from my daughter. I normally wear disposable contact lenses, but once I got the symptoms for the pink eye, I removed them and lived everyday without contacts or glasses. I went to a doctor. I was prescribed eye drops from a doctor which I believe were antibiotics.

Two weeks went by, and there seemed to be no more symptoms and I was nearing the end of the medication. I put in my eye contact lenses. Two days later, the pink eye came back with the yellowy discharge (pus) in the morning.

I discontinued the use of contacted lenses and went back to the same doctor. She gave me a different medication. Another two weeks went by and I followed the directions religiously for the duration. Just as I neared the end of the medication, the pink eye started to come back again.

I figured the doctor was bollocks, so I went to a different doctor. He gave me a different medication. (This is now my THIRD set of different antibiotics). I took the medication for a week. I went back for a second checkup. He told me that my eye was getting better, but that the pink eye was not 100% gone, so I needed to continue with the medication and come back a week later. All this while, you must understand that I never put in contact lenses -- not even once.

A week went by, but I could not visit the doctor as I had to stay home with my sick daughter. Three days went by after that, and I neared the end of my medication. Today (July 16, 2014), I put contact lenses back in my eyes -- this was a FRESH pair of disposable contact lenses that hadn't been opened before. By the end of the workday, both of my eyes were irritated, itchy, and bloodshot red. I got home and took my contact lenses off.

I am frustrated because it's been almost two months and the doctors have not been able to get rid of the pink eye. I was thinking that perhaps I started out having the bacterial infection, but that my latest irritation is due to allergy. I find this hard to believe though, as I hadn't had pink eye (bacterial or allergetic) my whole 38-year old life. So the idea that a sudden and unprecedented allergic reaction would follow a sudden and unprecedented bacterial infection seems a bit too coincidental to me.

Please let me know what I should do. The doctors seem to me to be dismissive and aren't taking this seriously. All they say is "yeah, it's getting better...just keep with the medication...blah, blah, blah, blah". It's not dawning on them that this pink eye is going on for longer than it should be and the amount of discomfort that I'm suffering.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 4th, 2014
Thanks for all the replies.
|

replied August 4th, 2014
Thanks for all the replies.
|
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....