Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

pineal cyst on tailbone. Surgical risks and success rate?

User Profile
Hello there I have a pineal cyst on tailbone and I would like to ask 1-how much the surgery costs? 2- the risks? 3-success rate? 4-how long do I have to be in hospital? 5. How long until I can go and work or be my normal self? 6- What is the best surgery type I can have to solve this problem?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2014
General Q and A Answer A48388
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

A pineal gland cyst is a benign cyst in the pineal gland, a small endocrine gland in the brain. Smaller cysts (less than 0.50 cm) are usually asymptomatic, but for larger cysts (greater than 0.50 cm) which are very rare, possible symptoms could include headache, visual disturbances, light sensitivity, ataxia etc. Treatment for symptomatic cysts would include surgery but it is quite expensive costing close to $100,000.

Since you are having a cyst on the tailbone, it could be due to pilonidal cyst instead of pineal cyst. A pilonidal cyst occurs at the bottom of the tailbone (coccyx) and can become infected and filled with pus. Then it has to be surgically removed. The cost is not much but it can recur if not removed completely. Hence you should get it done from an expert surgeon. Risks are often those associated with any surgery like anesthesia risks, infection, bleeding etc. However the biggest challenge is that even after surgery, it may recur.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.