Herpes or Pimple?
HSV-1 (Herpes on face)
Just a big fat ZIT
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
I have a spot just above my lip. It looked like a zit but it wasn't ready.. I know I shouldn't have but I can't stand acne so I tried to pop it. The head came up to where I could see it. It was way bigger than what I initially thought. So i worked it and worked it until it popped. And it did. Probably tmi but it popped a big "chunk" of the stuff that comes out of pimples (puss? Infection? Whatever.) and it splattered all over the mirror. Then a lot of clear liquid came out of it. Which often happens with my zits when I pop them when they are big. I woke up last night having had picked at it (again) in my sleep. Looking at it today made me afraid it could be herpes because of how large it is and it hurts. It is in the dip in my top lip directly under my nose. Its a pretty sensitive spot and ive had zits there before. Though I will add that any zit around the lip hurts and my lips are chapped from this ongoing winter in my area. I also always have blackheads all the way around my lips. I have hormonal imbalances. I have been on my period for a month and have the implanon (birth control implant- though I get it out next month). If you can tell me how to attach a picture I will be glad to do so. Please help, I'm pretty nervous about it. It may be irrational but on the other hand with a lot of people having HSV 1 it makes me nervous that I may be infected. It does not seem to be a cluster though I do often get two or three zits in the same area (I touch my face a lot from worry and nervous habits so its not uncommon for my pores to become clogged) please note that it isn't on my lip (except where I picked off the scabing like a dummy). I've been using triple antibiotic ointment on it to keep it moist because when I smile it wants to crack because of its location. Which is why i was so annoyed with it in the first place. I have Google a lot about both subjects but honestly its all really blurred together with confusion about both subjects. gosign
PS- I was recently sick with Mononucleosis and am still recovering.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 12th, 2014
It is more than likely just a pretty bad pimple. Especially if you kept picking at it.
If you've done your research a herpe on the lip is pretty intense and looks way way worse than a pimple or nasty zit!
Hope this helps, quit pickin!
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its infected lesion. Apply topical antibiotics like mupirocin or fusidic acid. If lesion persists then surgical incision and drainage should be considered.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.