Medical Questions > Cancer > Pancreatic Cancer Forum

Physical condition after stomach bypass ?

My wife has pancreatic cancer stage 4(b) The surgeons performed a stomach bypass for when the stent fails.
What signs should I look for in her physical condition now? She seems to eat more but has pains in her back when sleeping at night. Will her appetite begin to decrease again? Will she become more tired? I just dont know what to look for & we dont see the surgon again until the end of the month

Thanks for any help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2009
Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is a truly horrible disease (as you are already aware, I'm sure). Even after bypassing the stomach and the bile ducts, many pancreas cancer patients will still experience significant upper abdominal and/or back pain. In most cases, this pain can be eased with narcotics, although it may be necessary, in some cases, to have a radiologist or a GI doctor inject alcohol into the nerves behind the pancreas (celiac axis block) to ease the pain.

Unfortunately, patients with incurable cancer don't always follow the same clinical course, and so I am always reluctant to offer specific scenarios (including how long any individual patient will live). In most cases, however, patients with advanced pancreas cancer tend to lose their appetite and stop eating, and they do generally develop progressively worsening fatigue and weakness.

I hope that, at a minimum, your wife can find relief from her pain. I wish that there was more that I, or her doctors, could offer her, Sir.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn pancreas basics here: we review anatomy, how cancer spreads and different types of pancreatic cancer in this short intro....
Do doctors know what causes pancreatic cancer? Here we review causes and risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing cancer of the pancreas....
Cancer of the pancreas do not usually manifest symptoms in its early stages. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help for pancreatic cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreatic Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.