User Profile
This is a link on an article I saw on yahoo this afternoon. This is just disgusting and rather scary:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_ re_us/pharmawater_i
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I was just about to post a topic on this.

I drink distilled water only (not just "bottled" because half the time it's a farce). Here's why:

Quote:
A vast array of pharmaceuticals (AP) -- including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones - have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Here are some of the key test results obtained by the AP:

-Officials in Philadelphia said testing there discovered 56 pharmaceuticals or byproducts in treated drinking water, including medicines for pain, infection, high cholesterol, asthma, epilepsy, mental illness and heart problems. Sixty-three pharmaceuticals or byproducts were found in the city's watersheds.

-Anti-epileptic and anti-anxiety medications were detected in a portion of the treated drinking water for 18.5 million people in Southern California.

-Researchers at the U.S. Geological Survey analyzed a Passaic Valley Water Commission drinking water treatment plant, which serves 850,000 people in Northern New Jersey, and found a metabolized angina medicine and the mood-stabilizing carbamazepine in drinking water.

-A sex hormone was detected in San Francisco's drinking water.

-The drinking water for Washington, D.C., and surrounding areas tested positive for six pharmaceuticals.

-Three medications, including an antibiotic, were found in drinking water supplied to Tucson, Ariz.

The federal government doesn't require any testing and hasn't set safety limits for drugs in water.

Even users of bottled water and home filtration systems don't necessarily avoid exposure. Bottlers, some of which simply repackage tap water, do not typically treat or test for pharmaceuticals, according to the industry's main trade group. The same goes for the makers of home filtration systems.
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
yeah it really made me stop and think about getting a drink from the tap--we have an aquifer and supposedly our water is clean---*nervously looking around*
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
My Water i must say is neer enough bottled water lol

TRUE SCOTTISH WATER FROM THE HILLS Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I never liked the water I have here, which is the hardest in the country. And the city says, its ok to drink, there's just a harmless amount of manure and pesticides and....... but it IS safe Razz

BAH!
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
how is it safe to drink poo and fertilizer and yadda yadda yadda. that water is disgusting. the only time i drank it was in the middle of the night when i was horridly thirsty and too lazy to go upstairs.lol
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2008
Experienced User
I don't like water. Is this weird?? I'd never touch the stuff, and I'd rather not think about what was in any of my food/drinks lol
|

replied March 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Yeah, we're being lied to, and we can't do anything about it.
If we knew everything, and I mean everything, we'd probably be very unhappy campers wouldn't we.

Ignorance is bliss, the truth hurts. I don't think the guy who first said these things was lying.
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Sometimes I know I'd be really sick if I thought too hard about things. Some grade school kids tested restaurant toilet water against water and ice from the ice machine. The water in your glass can be worse than drinking out of the toilet is what they found out....

Trying not to think too hard Razz
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I use a brita water filter, but it really doesn't do any good in situations like this because britas only filter out chlorine and heavy metals.
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Experienced User
water from the tap where i used to live was a bit shifty,i never drank it
but since moving to melbourne in Australia I have to say its ace water, it tastes a lot nicer than bottled stuff and free! haha

it does worry me slightly though, the water here has chemicals added to it, the only one i'm sure of is fluride, which is what's in toothpaste and strengthens teeth so i'm fine with that... but gotta wonder what else is added into it cause i know a lot of chemicals are =\....
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Here is a database on what's in your tapwater:

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/index.php
|

replied March 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have a well and my water is great.

So many people who work in places that have meds are told to crush and flush them if they are discontinued or expired, except scheduled meds. The pharmacy comes to crush and flush those.

It's disgusting
|
Quick Reply