Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Personal life problems

I'm a 19 year old African American who is lost in this world. I hope someone gives me some advice after reading, I SERIOUSLY need it! I never know how to act like myself. Every time I go out somewhere, I act different every single time. I have no motivation and I'm not excited about anything anymore. All I know is go to work, go to school(when I feel like it), and do it all over again. I don't fit in to society. Ever since I graduated HS in 2011 things haven't been the same. My favorite hobby was taking from me once I torn my ACL in a basketball game. I went through have my senior year in depression about not being able to play. Playing basketball was all I know. I've been playing since I was 5 years old! Basketball practice, games, and just hanging with the team in general. I feel complete lost without it now that I'm in college and it affects me daily and I can't get over it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 16th, 2012
I'm a lot older than you and my life took a negative turn about 5 and a half years ago-it never got better. I still don't know why and i am upset, angry and very depressed over it. I don't feel like picking myself up from the disaster that hit my life; divorce, church abuse, miscarriages, a family that doesn't support me. i really don't know what life is about anymore and i don't feel like trying to figure it out to just lose again. So i move forward trying to figure out a new path and try to avoid being around people who just hate me. Life is very painful and i really don't know why we are even here anyway. So all i can say is that maybe we fall into depression because of people around us, or allowing our life to be ruled by something that isn't good or maybe we need to change and didn't see life in a serious way. All i know is that going through a hard time does change a person and sometimes certain ways or lifestyles change. Sometimes good things leave your life and sometimes bad things leave your life. There is nothing funny about depression in my view point.
|

replied October 16th, 2012
Maybe you could try to help the team at college in some other way, just to be around the game again, and feel a sense of being involved, needed and valued.
You should see a doctor and try some anti-depressants sometimes you cant just "snap out of it" like some people think you can.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....