Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Persistent Urinary Tract Infection (for men)

Hi, I am a 26 yr old male. Last year in August, a general body checkup (including a urine test) revealed that there was microscopic traces of blood in my urine. I had 2 distinct symptoms like having the urge to pee almost immediately after emptying my bladder and foul smelling urine. A couple of urine culture tests showed that there's Coagulase negative Staphyloccus in my urine. I was prescribed with a week of Erythromycin which didn't completely cure it. Then after a week "break" waiting for urine test result etc, i was prescribed with another week of Erythromycin but it didn't completely treat me again. The doctor then tried Bactrim which didn't completely eradicate the problem either. (meaning to say that the 2 symptoms still persisted). I was quite unsure if the Antibiotics worked, because during the course of Antibiotic treatments, the symptoms worsened for the first few days, but then got better but never completely cured.
u
I was then referred to the urologist in the hospital where i had a intravenous urogram taken to rule out any abnormalities which may be causing the problem. The result was normal, nothing out of the ordinary. The doctor prescribed a week of Trimethoprim/ Sulfamethoxazole and some drugs for prostate inflammation. At the hospital i took another 2 urine culture tests on separate occasions. The first one was taken before the Trimethoprim/ Sulfamethoxazole treatment and it showed presence of the Staphylococcus which became resistant to some of Antibiotics I have taken. The second was taken towards the end of the treatment and it showed no infection. The urologist claimed that either the infection was cleared by the Antibiotics (even though i still have the symptom of having to pee after peeing, but the foul smell is significantly reduced) or the first result was inaccurate (as I have a condition of having tight foreskin and the first urine sample taken could have been contaminated, especially when Staphylococcus is commonly found in our skin). So the doctor stopped the Antibiotics treatment and scheduled me for a follow up appointment 2 months later (which is next month).

But recently, I think the foul smell in the urine is slowly coming back and im still having the other symptom. (no pain while peeing or backache or fever whatsoever). But the fact that it's so persistent really freaks me out. I have been taking cranberry tablets because i heard that it helps. This condition has costed me quite abit, having to pay for all the medicine, consultation fees and xray. And my other concern is the long term effects of taking different antibiotics.

I understand uti is very rare in men, so what could be causing this? I haven't been sexually active for a long time so I don't think that is the cause. Should I be worried about it?.. If the urologist suggest intraveneous administration of another Antibiotics, are there any concerns which i should take note of? And are there any treatments available for people suffering for uti caused by bacteria that has became resistant to most antibiotics?

I do appreciate any kind advice. Please help me. And thank you for your kind attention.

Rgds,
Evan1985
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper waltzer55
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Go back to your doctor! There are different antibiotics available to treat UTIs that are far more effective than the ones you have had.
Perhaps like me you need an extended course to completely clear it up for you.
Mine had troubled me since Nov 7th and has just been cleared up last 2 weeks(mid January).
My symptoms were extreme urgency and frequency and bleeding after urination. Antibiotics seemed to do the trick but it would flare up again after the pills had finished. Eventually extended course of treatment did the trick. Don't suffer in silence get back there as soon as possible before it gets a hold again.
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
Hello Evan1985,

I seem to have very similar symptoms as decribed in your post.

It's been a few months since you had the infection in your urine.Could you please advise the path you followed since your last post and the medicines and tests you had to take and whether it has made you infection free ?

Your advice will greatly assist me as i am very confused about what to do from here on.

Kind regards

Mister74
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
Hello Waltzer 55,

Your post about your infection in urine is very helpful.

Are you able to advise the antibiotics that you took and the actual duration that you continously had to take them for ?

Have you had any recurrence of the urine infection since mid january 2012 ?

Any information will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Mister74
|
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....