I'm 37, and I'm worried... I had an ASCUS pap result and high risk HPV a year ago. Went to an ob/gyn who did colposcopy and biopsy and turned out things were normal. She suggested I do another pap with my next annual. So I did, last week. It came back with the same result - ASCUS and high risk HPV. Now I have a colposcopy scheduled for next week, but I'm worried. Through my research online and everywhere, I heard HPV is supposed to go away within a year... I'm pretty healthy otherwise, but why haven't I "fought off" the HPV??? Could it be something more serious, like precancerous...? Are there people out there who've gone through this and fought off the HPV after repeated occurrences?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 28th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
HPV does not have a timeline of when it goes away. You could have it for the rest of your life or you may not.

You aren't having repeated occurrences of HPV, you are having the same occurrence.

Your doctor is doing the right thing, checking to see with a colposcopy if anything further needs to be done. There isn't anything more you can do.

Good luck. And relax. Most people get/have HPV in their lifetime.
|

replied May 18th, 2010
HPV and abnormal pap, colposcopy, etc.
I'm 30, soon to be 31 and I had my first abnormal pap when I was 18 and in college. Come to think of it... that was my first pap ever. Back then they really over-treated cervical abnormalities. I had a cryotherapy procedure to remove the lesion soon after. Since then I've had transient HPV infections. For several years I had no problems. The last couple years I've had some abnormal pap results that led to colposcopies. Most cervical abnormalities never progress to cancer! Getting regular screening/diagnostic tests like a pap or colp can help your doctor and you track the disease progress (or lack there of...) of your condition. Rest assured that you will never get cervical cancer if you go for the follow-up tests and procedures that are recommended by your doctor or nurse. If you want to try a supplement to help your body's natural ability to clear the infection talk to your doctor about DIM+ by Natures' Way. It contains a phytochemical compound called diindolymethane which some studies have shown can aid in the regression of HPV-related cervical lesions. Since you have not had any lesions detected you probably don't really need it. However, it works by helping your body to balance the levels of the 3 different estrogen compounds naturally occurring in our body. A caveat: there are some questions about whether it could change the efficacy of hormonal birth control methods. Thats why it is important to talk to your doctor about any vitamins or supplements that you plan to take. Good luck. Relax. In my opinion, HPV is no big deal. Cervical cancer is... but if you go for regular follow up care it can be prevented. Be well!
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2010
There are lots of reasons why your body hasn't fought off the HPV. It doesn't necessarily mean cancer. Keep up with the regular pap tests. That will help you to track any changes. Early detection is your best defense. Keeping your immune system strong is an excellent way to help your body fight the virus. Make sure you're getting enough sleep, manage your stress well (which is hard, after hearing the results of the pap, but really important!), eat lots of green leafy vegetables and stay away from refined sugars. Another supplement I've heard of is called Papillex. It's got folic acid, carotenoids, vitamin E and C, greentea extract, astragalus (ginseng) and reishi mushroom. It was formulated with immune support for HPV in mind and based on Naturopathic treatment protocols. The most important thing is not to stress about it, but be proactive. Hope this helps!
|

replied January 18th, 2011
has any of this helped? how do you deal with meeting a new partner? how do you know if they have hpv or not? are you not afraid that you will get a different strand of hpv? if a man takes gardasil will he get the hpv that I have?
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....