I'm a 22-year old female, and I've been having hip pain for years and years. I was a gymnast all through childhood, and it first presented at the right hip joint. My coaches thought it was from underuse and helped me hyperextend during stretches to try to work it out. I never really felt like it worked. The pain continued past the end of my gymnastics career, and I now have it on the right and left sides. It's right at the joint and in addition to aching, it feels like it needs to be "popped" and I just can't get it to. I now do yoga at least 3 times a week, but the pain pops up at any time, not just during or after a practice. I've tried taking Aleve and stretching, but when it bothers me, it usually lasts for several days with little to no relief. Any ideas what this could be and how I can make it better?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 8th, 2008
persistent hip pain
My 38 year old son who did a lot of road running in his teens and worked as a cycle courier in London for around 10 years. Restarted running over the past few months but had to discontinue because of hip pain (only the right hip). Had x rays which showed formation of osteophytes (?calcium deposits) on BOTH hips. Now awaiting MRI scan - don't know whether this has been around for some years and therefore is slowly progressive i.e. ok for another 20 years or so.
My advice is to check with your GP - good luck!
|

replied April 10th, 2008
hip pain
Your pain sounds similar to my experience...so I'm wondering if you might have the same thing. I had hip pain that started when I was 11 or 12 and was written off to wear and tear since I played a lot of sports. It wasn't until I was 16 and finally got an x-ray that they found it to be hip dysplasia in both my hips.
Dysplasia is usually caught right when you're born but I guess mine didn't present until later. Anyway...have you ever had an x-ray? Because that is all that is needed to diagnose hip dysplasia. I am 20 now and have had a ganz osteotomy or PAO done on both of my hips. It is an intense surgery but in my opinion well worth it. I have had excellent results which eliminated my pain and I'm back to being just as active as I ever was. So my suggestion is go get a pelvic x-ray and I hope everything works out!
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....