User Profile
I have had a persistent headache for the last 6 weeks. The pain is mostly in the left side of my head, although there is a residual ache in the right side. The centre of the pain is at the top of my neck / base of my skull where I feel an acute burning sensation. The pain radiates out from here, up over the top of my head and behind my left eye. When at its worst I can't sleep as the pain intensifies into my left arm and leg when I lie down, leaving a heavy sensation when it subsides. I have tried various over-the-counter medication containing paracetemol, codeine etc but nothing seems to touch the headache. A warm bath or light physical activity such as going for a walk seems to help. I have just had an MRI but the results showed nothing out of the ordinary. I wear glasses but have also had a full eye exam, which again showed nothing untoward. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how best to proceed, preferably holistically?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Headache that is experienced like burning sensation indicates neuralgia, or pain/discomfort sensation due to nerve injury or nerve irritation.
According to headache location and way of spreading this could be an occipital neuralgia, headache due to affected occipital nerve.
Usually, it starts at the upper neck, back of the head, and behind the ears, usually on one side of the head.
You may also experience pain in the scalp, forehead, and behind the eyes.
At the time of headache, you may have eyes sensitive or painful to the light and scalp sensitive to touch (lying on the pillow, brushing the hair is uncomfortable or even painful).

See neurologist!
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: TravellingWilbury74 

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
Thank you very much for your help. I'll ask my GP for a referal. With very best wishes, VM
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome anytime!
Best wishes to you, too!
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2009
You better get your self too the docters it sounds more like a Migrane. im on a preventive called Periactin 4mg .it helps a bit doesnt cure it but helps .
|
Users who thank DAZZA2 for this post: TravellingWilbury74 

replied October 29th, 2009
help
have you got a diagnosis yet my wife is suffering from the same symptoms
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....