Hi, I'm a male 38 years of age. I've been having an eye problem unlike one I've ever experienced. Historically I don't have a long list of eye issues--I was diagnosed around age 20 for nearsightedness and since then where glasses in select situations (e.g., driving at night or in unfamiliar areas, large classrooms, etc.) I also have experienced on again-off again eye strain as part of a symptom set from computer strain (e.g., hurting wrists, tight neck/shoulders). This I have managed reasonably well with eye relaxing exercises I've found in books, the Internet, etc. (In general over the last 10 years I've probably spent 40-60 hours / week on the computer for work, personal, etc.)

However, over the last 4+ weeks, I've experienced a type of eye strain that is different. At first I assumed it was just related to close-up work (and indeed perhaps it in part is). I was dong a lot more reading in April and May than usual and started to feel "eye strain", so I started to do those relaxing exercises. It felt a little different though & it was a little while before I realized that it wasn't the same kind of strain. I was feel discomfort or pressure, particularly on the inside of the eye towards the nose and also along the bottom on the eye. This slowly appeared and got worse, plateauing over the last week. My eyes get strained more readily when doing reading / computer work now but the discomfort, while it wanes if I don't do any work, doesn't go away. Also, I experience some increased discomfort while driving. It kind of suggests to me that under any circumstance where my eyes are put under some duress, they feel "tighter". That said, my range of motion, clarity, etc. haven't changed. I know that as you age your ability to focus on close objects lessens but I also haven't really lost any ability to focus clearly on close objects--I measured that I can see objects to about 6" before blurring.

Interestingly, over the last few weeks I also developed slight wrist pains and my shoulders and neck have been tighter. It's felt too like perhaps some of the muscles around my eye or on my head have been a little tighter. Also, I have been waking up to a feel of post nasal drip, though not stuffiness. I know there is a lot of pollen in the air and traditionally I've had a minor allergy to it, but I don't know if allergies or sinus issues could be related to what I'm experiencing.

Any suggestions / interpretations are appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 23rd, 2008
Update
A cousin of mine's husband is an optometrist and he just gave me a pretty thorough exam. It turns out that in the 15 years since I got my last glasses prescription (and the 5-10 years since my last exam), my nearsightedness has actually become less so. That is (if I understand the #'s correctly), I've gone from -1.50 to -.75. At the time I had gotten that prescription I had been seen several times so I don't think it was a case of a quick "one-off" where a mistake was made. Perhaps that only other notable thing (I don't know technical terms) is when a pen was held out to me and I closed one eye and then opened it & closed the other, apparently I saw the pen shift more than probably the average person would. Interestingly, while my pupils have been dilated, the pressure I woke up with has been less. In general though it still seems like my eyes are experiencing a "susceptibility" to strain that has been quite limiting. Whether it's reading (which I've basically stopped doing), computer work (which I've significantly reduced), or even driving (or just waking up), my eyes get a feeling of tightness / pressure on the inside towards the nose. When not doing any of these things for a few days, I definitely see some relief . . . some but not total--as my eyes quick strain again doing something.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Hi! I am a 29 year old male and I have been suffering from pressure and tightness on the left side of the face when reading. At first it started at the back of the eyes and now has spread to the left side of the head and face. The pressure and tightness also seems to shift on the left side. I have changed my eye glasses several times. Have done MRI, Sinus scan which are normal. This is the first time I have come across a person who is experiencing the same symptoms as mine. At the moment I'm trying accupucture but has not helped so far. I hope you will find some relief from the work you are doing. please keep in touch.
|

replied January 28th, 2010
Hi, I am a 49 year old male and do a job that requires me to use a computer screen virtually all the time - often 10 hrs/day. I also have pressure/tighness on the side of my head when reading and it seems to be worse when using reading glasses. I came across a condition called vertical heterophoria syndrome which seems to explain a lot of the side effects I have, similar to ADHD and had an eye test at the weekend to see if I had this. They found I needed a small amout of prism correction. Although the optician thought it was not enough to cause any problems I have ordered a re-glaze of my glasses to see if it solves it. I have also been referred to an Orthoptist to get further tests done - the optician thought it was more likely that eye exercises would help me.
|
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....