Hi there, basically I've had a cough for over 3 weeks now. I'm coughing up a lot of green phelgm, have an on and off fever, serious fatigue and nasal congestion. I went to my GP who said I had a viral infection but it is still not clearing up. Does anyone have any good remedies to help me fight this infection?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AlexisK
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Stay warm...Keep your chest covered at night...If you used a fan in the bedroom at night, make sure it is not pointed directly at you....These can be terrible to get over...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied February 9th, 2010
Effective natural remedies for treating chest infections.
Natural remedies will help enormously- at fighting the cause of the infection( whether bacterial or viral or both) and at thinning and expelling mucous, reducing discomfort and breathlessness. I've had 13 severe chest infections since beginning of 2009, and currently have had the worst one ever for over 2 months. I have acquired knowledge of a wide variety of means to manage the symptoms as I experience highly abnormal excessive mucous problems constantly, mainly stemming from food, which make these chest infections that much harder to rid. Therefore I have to employ many different strategies just to make it bearable, and I really know what I'm talking about.

In case you are interested, here are a few examples of what I do that really helps:

Take "grapefruit seed extract"- 10-12 drops up to 3 or 4 times a day, 20 minutes before or at least 2 hours after food though. Order from "bodykind" or many other sites.

Take "Neem powder". An indian plant - brilliant all round healer, fights infections, boosts the immune system, reduces mucous, asthma and breathlessness. Mix a teaspoon in warm water and drink on an empty stomach or before meals. Order the powder cheap from "Spices of India.co.uk"

Rub Vicks vapor rub on soles of feet -after a warm bath or shower when the pours are open, and just before bed. Rub it on a 2 or 3 inch patch just below the ball of the foot, but overlapping the ball of the foot slightly- right foot more effective(lung point).

Sterimar seawater nasal sprays really help to wash out mucky congested sinuses and clear mucous from the throat, making you feel all round more comfortable. Available in most chemists.

Eat Garlic every day when ill, especially with chest infections. If you can tolerate it raw it will be much more effective but make sure it is not upsetting your stomach though if you do this. Onions may help, but not as much. Chillies also are good.

Avoid dairy except butter. Avoid sugar as this feeds viruses and bacteria and and increases mucous production.

Use inhalers if necessary. Even if you do not usually have asthma it may help to see your doctor about getting a preventer and reliever inhaler for when you have a chest infection, and use each up to 3 times per day. This will really reduce discomfort, expel mucous and help you get better faster.

I am lucky to have a cousin who works for a top essential oil company called "Young Living" and gets me free oils which are quite expensive. These oils help enormously with chest infections and mucous especially when used in a steam inhalation- thick mucous literally floods out of the chest and sinuses to an extent that is otherwise impossible, and in such a short space of time, leaving you feeling fresh and new. Rosemary, peppermint, thyme are good examples. If you can get hold of some good quality essential oils it will really help, but not just any oils will do. The cheap ones do not even touch the surface compared with the high grade ones which cost more, but may be worth it. I inhale them directly by putting 2 drops in the palm of one hand, smearing gently over the other palm, and cupping my mouth and nose and inhalng deeply ten times. They can also be mixed with the required ratio of carrier oil (I just use olive oil) and rubbed on the chest. Some dilute 50:50,some 20:80 but check because otherwise they can burn the skin.

I take vitamin c powder to thin mucous also. a natural form would be best, but whatever you can afford- it really helps.

If you can handle the taste, drink "clove tea "by putting a teaspoon (not heaping though) in a cup and pouring on boiling water- really helps with mucous and breathing difficulties and fights infections. It's also a powerful natural sleep aid with a sedative type action. Good before bed.

Peppermint tea really helps too and won't make you sleepy. I always put 2 teabags in a cup as it tastes nicer and thins mucous well.

If you can tolreate alcohol (I can't as it makes my astma and mucos really severe, even just a drop) a product called "Goldenseal" can really help with chest infections. The tincture is more potent, but make sure you can tolerate the alcohol it is diluted in.

There are many other natural remedies to treat chest infections. Although the chest infection I have currently is lasting for months, I have many times cured a chest infection completely in under 24 hours with natural remedies and essential oils. This is impossible with prescription antibiotics, which usally always take at least a week, so natural remedied can actually be far more effective and won't disrupt your bodys' ecology and potential lead to long lasting illnesses such as Candida (fungal infection- thrush). So I would strongly suggest at least looking into some natural remedies using the internet. Above are some suggestions that work for me. The over the counter "sudafed" type stuff is a false economy in comparison and just appears to help- I wouldn't give it a second look.

I hope some of this helps.
|

replied January 6th, 2012
Hi I have purchased some Neem powder that you reccomended but Spices of \india Say that they do not know if it can be used internally. Could you please advise me
|

replied June 3rd, 2013
Thanks AlexisK,
Will try the above recommendations in desperation.
Had 10 weeks off work from early December to February.
Antibiotics and steroids did not touch the bug.
Back to work and off again with the same problem.
I have used natural remedies but haven't tried neem powder or clove tea.
Regards
Finnbell
|

replied March 6th, 2010
I have tryed Bronchitis tea, and has worked better than any doctors medications.
|

replied October 9th, 2010
chest infection.
You do all that for a chest infection? just have some antibiotic capsules and have raw garlic every day and it will totally eradicate all your bacteria.
|

replied April 29th, 2011
A friend recommended taking cider vinegar. Put some in a cup (about one eighth of the cup) and fill up with hot/boiling water. She suggested adding two/three teanspoons of ORGANIC honey. She said it must be organic, not ordinary.

I tried this. I found it dreadful to swallow so I just inhaled the steam and it cleared my nose and the thick phlegm. I have had a cold for over six months so I tried it again. This time I used six heaped teaspoons of honey and it diluted into the liquid and made a syrup. I managed to drink that and it really relieved a very severe sore throat that I had on one side. The next night, I had a bit of pain on the other side of the throat and when I looked at it I could see large white lumps of pus. I tried the mixture again and it got rid of the pus and relieved the pain. I had been feeling quite faint and unwell, and had lost my balance and ended up sitting on the pavement once evening.

I noticed an article recently saying Manuka honey had anti-bacterial properties. I just used ordinary organic honey. It would be well worth trying this with Manuka honey but it is expensive.
|

replied October 19th, 2013
Last time I had a really bad chest infection a friend who has Asthma recommended the Salt Cave. You basically sit in a room and breath in salty air and the salt particles help to kill bacteria and clear the congestion of your chest. I only had to go three times and it got rid of the infection and the nasty cough that had developed Smile

This year I plan on going for a few sessions because it can apparently boost your immune system so hopefully I can avoid getting any chest infections this winter. (fingers crossed!)
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
Garlic and Ginger
I had a nasty chest infection, two rounds of seven days of Amoxillin (most common antibiotic in the UK) it did nothing. Then I started to eat raw garlic and followed this up with freshly ground ginger. Did the trick almost instantly.

Be careful with raw garlic though, it can upset your stomach if you take too much. This did not happen to me but to the wife, who must have caught my bacteria. The garlic and ginger worked for both of us.

I bought some garlic capsules from a natural remedies shop (check amazon, they will probably have it) and I am now going to stick to taking these garlic tablets to boost my immune system and keep the chest infection at bay or something of the past.

Good luck to all, it really is awful to have a chest infection that does not clear up for weeks. Hope my advice helps some, and hope it works for you.

Ant
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
I had a nasty chest infection, two rounds of seven days of Amoxillin (most common antibiotic in the UK) it did nothing. Then I started to eat raw garlic and followed this up with freshly ground ginger. Did the trick almost instantly.

Be careful with raw garlic though, it can upset your stomach if you take too much. This did not happen to me but to the wife, who must have caught my bacteria. The garlic and ginger worked for both of us.

I bought some garlic capsules from a natural remedies shop (check amazon, they will probably have it) and I am now going to stick to taking these garlic tablets to boost my immune system and keep the chest infection at bay or something of the past.

Good luck to all, it really is awful to have a chest infection that does not clear up for weeks. Hope my advice helps some, and hope it works for you.

Ant
|
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...