My son has been sick since last May (going on 9 mos now). He has had persistent bronchitis with a very wet cough. He has been on many antibiotics including Levaquin (which is not FDA approved in children), he has had an upper gi, bronchoscopy, ct scans, chest x-rays and iv antibiotics. His current diagnosis is reflux which is causing his esophagus to become inflamed and producing increased mucus which causes the reoccurring bronchitis. Has anyone else had anything like this???? Does this sound possible?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 7th, 2009
Persistent bronchitis
My daughter is almost 18 months. She has been sick a month. Started out as sinus infection, ear infection and tonsilitis. Then (while on antibiotics) got bronchitis. Then (still on antibiotics) Got tonsilitis again. (she has been on 5 different antibiotics and 2 antibiotic shots in 4 weeks) She was in the hospital for 2 days to get IV to hydrate her and more medicine. She had Xrays, blood work, throat swab and urine tests.
She had stopped eating and drinking, so the IV was a must! Her urine was very dark the morning she went to the hospital. It has only been 2 days, but seems better....time will tell. The doctors are keeping a close watch on her for now. Her latest diagnosis is persistent bronchitis and tonsilitis.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Persistent bronchitis
pinkyrushing wrote:
My son has been sick since last May (going on 9 mos now). He has had persistent bronchitis with a very wet cough. He has been on many antibiotics including Levaquin (which is not FDA approved in children), he has had an upper gi, bronchoscopy, ct scans, chest x-rays and iv antibiotics. His current diagnosis is reflux which is causing his esophagus to become inflamed and producing increased mucus which causes the reoccurring bronchitis. Has anyone else had anything like this???? Does this sound possible?

Since he is on medication which are not for children, I would be very concerned and get another pediatrician to handle his case. It really sounds as if he is being largely over medicated, which can worsen his symptoms. Please take him to another doctor. Good luck.
|
Must Read
Chronic and acute cases of bronchitis affect millions of Americans every year. But what is bronchitis? And how do types of bronchitis differ?...
Bronchitis can be caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria. But what are the most well known and frequent causes of bronchitis. More info here....
Acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis manifest different symptoms. Learn to identify both types of bronchitis and when you should seek medical help....