I'm a 48 yr old male who developed gangrene in my foot. Unknown to me, large blood clots were discovered in my groin area both legs. I have a family history of thrombosis & am a light smoker. Net outcome was I had partial amputation of four toes & am left with permanent cramp. I'm on various pain killers & warfarin for life as I'm in a high risk group. Also my cholesterol is higher than normal. I take quinine for cramp but it must be said I've become immune to most pain killers because I've been on them too long. Has anyone else experienced similar problems & how do you cope?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 1st, 2010
Jagman: I cannot empathize with your pain sufferings,however reading you post has helped tremendously! I am 46 year old female. In '07 I had 99% stenosis in left carotid and was having mini strokes at work. Dr did a carotid endarterectomy. On April 2,2010, we discovered the left carotid was again 99% stenosed;a carotid stent was placed on May 14,2010 through the brachial atery in the arm. On June 3,2010, a right carotid endarterectomy was done for 80% stenosis. On April 28th when they attempted to place the stent through angiography through the groin they could not get through and I was informed that I am 100% blocked both sides. My next surgery is graft bypass,connecting to the aortic atery above the kidneys and running to the groin to restore blood flow. All of mine has been symptomless except for the mini strokes and severe burning in the leg muscles when trying to walk even for short distances. I am a heavy smoker, have had high cholesterol since my 20's. The meds I take are 2 for HBP,2 for cholesterol, Plavix and asirin for blood thinning.I was not sure about having the surgery before reading your post but now I am. I knew before that I really did not have a choice but now I know I simply have to. God Bless You and give you relief from your pain. I pray someone will be able to give you some direction for much better days. I am sorry I could not help your situation but I am grateful for your sharing. Best of luck. Dee
|

replied August 24th, 2011
vascular disease help
i feel bad for you, i have vascular disease, 3 surgeries this year, femoral endardectomy, carotid endartdectomy, left stent in leg , now they are watching my kidneys, stenosis, i am so frustrated with this disease, it just seems everytime i go something else, now the carotid surgery has a problem, the artery kinked, so they "watch" it, what the heck here? how do you go about healthier lifestyle to manage this disease, any suggestions, help
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....