I have been struggling with peripheral neuropathy since giving birth in October 2012. My legs and arms are extremely weak with numbness/tingling in the hands and feet and sometimes face. I constantly feel like I do after I've overexercised, only worse. My feet constantly ache as if I just ran a marathon in stilettos, and I recently started to get muscle twitches everywhere, especially in the lower legs and feet, which makes it very difficult to sleep. I constantly have the urge to stretch or massage my muscles. I also have lower back pain and headaches, and sometimes burning or deep cold sensations in my body.
Here is a bit of history:
Prior to pregnancy, I was a very active runner and vegetarian with intermittent sciatica.
During pregnancy, I was on the antibiotic Macrobid almost the entire pregnancy due to recurring UTIs. I took a daily prenatal vitamin and was almost completely sedentary for the last three months because of preterm contractions. Just before giving birth, I came down with the flu and had a fever for a few days, although it subsided by the time I was induced. I gave birth vaginally with epidural after 21 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing on 10/26/2012 - induced with Pitocin and given intravenous antibiotic for Group B Strep.
After delivery, I was given the Dtap vaccine.
On Oct. 30th, I went to the ER because of extreme weakness/tingling/numbness in legs and feet. The doctor ordered a lumbar MRI, which came back normal, and told me to come back if symptoms get worse. On Nov. 1st, I returned to the ER in the middle of night because weakness/numbness spread to arms and hands. I was immediately referred to a neurologist. The neurologist gave me a physical exam and determined that my strength and balance were fine, and dismissed my symptoms as postpartum depression, which was hard for me to believe given my symptoms. He ordered a brain and cervical MRI to rule out MS. Both came back normal. I also saw my primary care doctor, who ordered blood tests to check my B12 level and TSH level, which came back clear. I went to a second neurologist in December, who gave me the same physical exam as the first one, deemed my strength and balance fine, and ordered two blood tests: the ANA reflex w/ titer, and rheumatoid factor to check for autoimmune problems. The results of these tests are still pending.
It's been over two months, and I have a feeling that I will not get a diagnosis for my symptoms until they progress even more and it's too late to do much about them. I'm terrified that I'm slowly going paralyzed, and I feel awful since I can't fully enjoy my baby with my health the way it is. Any suggestions of what more I can do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 10th, 2013
Hi there! Your symptoms sound a lt like mine except that I was six months postpartum before developing major issues. It looks like your post is as bit dated. Have you had any luck with a diagnosis? Would be happy to share my experience as well! Right now, I am on lyrica and Xanax for excruciating nerve and muscle pain Sad

Thanks so much!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....