Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Periods starting after a year

I had my last period in December of 2007 and then all of a sudden around the 20th of March 2009, a year and a couple of months without any period I had one and it was a normal one, heavy and lasting around 3-4 days. Now on April 18 I am having another one,. Is this normal? Just before this happened I had my annual exam and my pap smear was normal and my blood work was normal too.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2009
Supporter
What's not normal is that you are going so long without having a period, not that you are having one. Unless, of course, you were pregnant, you have gone through menopause, you are on a type of birth control that stops or limits your periods. I suggest you get your hormone levels checked.
|

replied April 19th, 2009
I forgot to mention that I just turned 56 in February so I believe I have gone through menopause.... But last month my blood was fine and so was my pap smear. Wouldn't abnormal hormone levels shown up in those?
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2009
Supporter
Not really, it all depends on what they were testing the blood for. And the pap smear only tests for cancerous, precancerous or abnormal cervical cells. Since you have gone through menopause, then that changes things dramatically. I would make another appointment with the doctor to discuss this problem.
|

replied April 19th, 2009
What do you meanit changes things dramatically? I know there are possibilities that there could be that are causing that? I discussed it when I had an appojntment to discuss my bloodwork and am having a hysteroscopy on May 29 but that was before I had started again. Shouls I have the procedure done sooner or could it just be a homronal thing as well?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2009
Supporter
Sorry, didn't mean to be a drama queen or scare you.
I thought you were still having regular periods. If that were the case, I would suspect a hormone imbalance, ask you if you were underweight, try to figure out reasons for SKIPPING periods...
But knowing you have had menopause does change things because now I am trying to figure out why you are HAVING periods.
Let me state up front that I have not hit that phase in life yet, so I am only going on what I have heard or read, not from experience. One thing to take into consideration is the amount of time that has passed since your periods ceased. If it has been six months or less, it is not a very big deal- although it warrants a doctor visit. If it has been more than six months since you last had a period, then other causes are more likely.
According to one health website I visited, bleeding from the upper reproductive system (in postmenopausal women) can be caused by:

•hormone replacements
•endometrial cancer
•endometrial polyps
•cervical cancer
•cervical lesions
•uterine tumors
•ovarian cancer
•estrogen-secreting tumors in other parts of the body
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2009
Supporter
Another site considers it to be post menopausal bleeding if it occurs twelve months after menopause. In addition to the cause listed in the previous post, some other causes of postmenopausal bleeding are:
hormone imbalance
nutrition and insulin resistance
weight loss
emotional stress
anticoagulants (blood thinner medications)
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...