Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

2 Periods in One Month after starting a vitamin regiment

I've been trying to get an appointment with a Gynecologist for some time now, but seeing as I'm 18 and this would be my first visit, I've been unable to get an appointment until September.

The problem I originally was going in for was quite the opposite of the one mentioned in the title of my post. Typically my periods are very few and far between and impossible to predict (and awful when they finally do come around). Recently though, due to dieting the past few weeks I decided to start taking several vitamins just to make up for any I'd be missing out on with calorie restricting. I started with a basic multivitamin and a B-complex or a B-12 supplement and biotin for my hair and nails. Because I haven't been eating as much red meat I started taking an iron supplement as well. I've always had the suspicion that I'm anemic though I've never been tested so I figured it would be a good idea regardless(I'm fairly pale, my hands and feet are always cold, and I have bouts of fatigue).

It's only been a few days on the iron, but now I've started my period, despite the fact that I just finished my last one about 2 weeks ago, which is unprecedented for me. I'm wondering if my body was deficient in iron beforehand and now that my levels are normal my cycle is resetting itself and will be regular now. Or if maybe this bleeding is in response to too much iron? I know iron affects the production of red blood cells, so I thought maybe now there are too many and my body is trying to get rid of the extra?

I apologize for the long post, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has had any experience with this!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the exact cause for your frequent/intermittent bleeding without thorough evaluation, although taking the supplements should have corrected any losses responsible for the frequent bleeding. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation to rule out chances of hormonal imbalances, thyroid abnormalities, anemia, bleeding disorder, vitamin deficiencies, endometrial hyperplasia/changes, ovarian cysts, uterine polyps, fibroids in uterus, etc. You should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause or take second opinion from another gynecologist. Treatment as indicated (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and regulate your periods. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.