Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

periods every two weeks with heavy bleeding

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
i started my period when i was about 13..right before summer of my 7th grade year. my periods were pretty light for the first 6 months. about mid year in 8th grade i got my 1st heavy period. i started using super tampons. well apparently that didnt hold long enough, within 45 minutes i bled through. so my mom bought me super plus tampons. still i bled through. i switched brands and the super plus tampons i use now and huge! but i still have a problem with bleeding through. i wear pantie liners now but i have to change my tampons every 2 hours or its a mess. in the last 4 months or so i started getting my period every two weeks, with nausea, very bad cramps, dizziness. my periods get so bad that i have to stay home for 2 or 3 days. since im in HS sports this creates big problems. i am also sexually active, but that didnt seem to affect my periods. me and my mom talked about getting me on the pill to help regulate my periods. will that help the heavy bleeding, nausea, bad cramps and dizziness?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2011

Welcome to ehealthforum

During the starting phase of menstrual cycle the bleeding is irregular as it takes some time for the hormonal levels to be normalized.Since you are having very heavy bleeding with other symptoms it seems that the hormonal levels are altered.Also such heavy bleeding can cause anemia.Pills do help in regulating the cycles but they are prescribed after considering all the factors as age,weight,height.
Kindly visit a Gynaecologist for a proper examination.You might also require hormonal tests for evaluation and further treatment accordingly.

Take Care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.