I have lost my period for about 2 years now due to an eating disorder and losing 40 pounds, I was overweight before. I have brought my weight up to a healthy weight, been eating better, and cutting my over-exercise. I still have not got my period back, I am going to my regular doctor in a month and would like to get it before then so that I do not need to go on artificial hormones, please help. I am 17 by the way
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
Hello,

I just wonder if your are claiming you no longer have the distorted view of self that tends to be the driving force for anorexia?

I notice you don't give many specifics. A healthy weight could be described as a weight where life isn't threatened or a weight where health isn't threatened. Such body weights do not imply the subject is a normal or average weight for the height or build.
Perhaps you are still underweight?

If you have reached an average weight for your height and build your periods should restart naturally if you haven't begun an early menopause. Your doctor is the best person to advise you and if he believes your system needs kick-starting with hormones in order to avoid the menopause you should be guided by him.

I am not a doctor but I remember reading somewhere being sexually active might help, or at least masturbating regularly...
Exercise tends to cause a body to produce testosterone whereas the layer of fat that makes women curvy contains reserves of female hormones.

Good luck!
|

replied April 7th, 2013
It is more than likely that I may still not have enough body fat and exercise to much. I now weigh about 106 pounds and am 5 feet 0 and I hate it. I guess I do still have the distorted view because I was forced to gain weight and I hate it.
|

replied April 7th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
Hello again,

The only real advice I can offer you is to try and put your feelings aside and use your rational brain.

The stress alone of your situation will be enough to affect your periods. Until you can accept the need to be a certain size/shape/weight in a more relaxed and philosophical way you are likely to continue to have problems.

In the final analysis if you want to live as long as you can and avoid the problems in later life associated with early malnutrition you have no choice but to accept. Things we do when young often come back in later life and haunt us whether a bruise, a sprained wrist or ankle or malnutrition.

Good luck!
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....