Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

Perianal Abscess healing - Advice needed please!

About 2 months ago I developed a large painful swelling near my anus. After a course of antibiotics that didn't help matters I went to the ED and that put me under a general, cut and drained. On my surgery notes it said that I have a perianal hematoma that was infected. They cut into it and discharged old blood and pus.

They also checked for internal and external fistula tracts but found none.

Anyway, I was discharged the next day and had the wound packed every day for a week. After that week the nurse told me it was better to keep the area clean and I just used dressing.

However, I have a question that's causing me a lot of anxiety. It's been three weeks today since my surgery. At first the drainage was moderate, a mix of dark colored blood and pus and watery plasma. As time went on it's become less and less. On the 3 week mark it's not very much BUT it still does drain. The drainage is also pus like. Not too thick or yellow, just whiteish tan and a bit gooey. It's only a small amount but it's still enough to warrant dressing each day. The wound itself is healing, but there is a part of it that is still open (which means it makes a slight squelchy noise if i press near it, like air is inside there).

All the information I get online is different. Some people say that these things can take months to heal and that a little bit of pus drainage is fine. Other places say it should be healing mostly after 3 weeks and pus is a sign of infection or a possible fistula.

The wound itself looks clean and I feel pretty good (it's a bit uncomfortable down there when I sit etc but I do have a small open wound).

Can anyone shed some light on regular, normal perianal abscess healing times and drainage? I would really appreciate it!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Perianal abscess is just drained, it will take time at least a week to heal, till then you are gonna have such discharges and does not means treatment failure. Sterile dressings and antibiotics use will help.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety
Quick Reply
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Crohn Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.