Medical Questions > Cancer > Stomach Cancer Forum

Periampulary Adenocarcinoma

My father has 2 x 2 cm tumour in periampulary region. The biopsy report says that it is periampulary adenocarcinoma. The CT scan report says that there is evidence of focal soft tissue density mass in the ampulary and periampulary region measuring 2.0x2.0 cm. The mass is focally projecting into to contiguous medial wall of the 2nd part of duodenum with partial intraluminal extension. The adjacent vascular structures are normal. The IVC, aorta, superior mesentric vessels are normal. The portal vein is patent. The gall bladder already resected due to previous cholecystectomy. No lession seen in liver, spleen, pancreas, adrenals and both the kidney. no evidence of upper abdominal lymphadenopathy.

My father is now fit in all resepct after ERCP procedure which release the jeondise symptoms.

Now kindly advise what should I do in this regard? Is there any medication available or we only have option of whipple procedures? Kindly advise.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
If he is in reasonably good health, and if there is no evidence that his tumor has spread outside of the duodenum and pancreas, then he will require an operation to remove part of the pancreas, the duodenum, and part of the bile duct (pancreaticoduodenectomy, also known as the Whipple procedure). This operation is his only chance for cure.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.