Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Penis not holding erection

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
I do not know if It is mental or physical problem. It is strange. If I do get an erection-it is not 100%. My penis does not get as hard as it suppose to be. Also the erection does not last long. during the activity (penetration)the minuet i pull out, my penis loses its erection. What cause the penis not to hold an erection or not get fully erected?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2010
Sexual Health - Men Answer A9934
Thank you for your question on

Erectile dysfunction is common usually adults of 20-40 years age group. In this age group the most common underlying cause is psychological. However, other causes include side effects of various psychotropic drugs, antidepressants. Erectile dysfunction is a vascular disease. Vascular pathologies like Hypertension, Diabetes, neuropathies, Coronary artery disease all can be associated with it. Individual suffering with these problems first need to see the doctor and discuss the possible role of these diseases in the problem.

If no obvious detectable problem is found, then it is more likely due to psychological factors. In almost all cases psychological counseling will help to a great extent. In other pathologies, understanding the cause and treating it effectively with medication will reap great benefits.

Some patients will benefit from Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors like Sildenafil. When attending to a problem of erectile dysfunction, comprehensive approach and counseling in the presence of sexual partner will be beneficial.

I would suggest you to consult your doctor and also sexual health specialist if necessary. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.