Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Pelvic pain and Doxycycline

User Profile
For the past three months I have been back and forth to the local health department for pelvic pain. They gave me Zithromax and Flagyl, but after taking the meds, the pain came back. The doctor told me that I had bacterial vaginosis and cervicitis. Then they gave me a shot in my hip because my WBC was too high. After about three weeks the pain came back stronger. This time I went to the E.R. Again I was examined and the doctor said that my cervix was not inflamed from what she could see. But she prescribed Doxycycline for me to take for two weeks. She also wants me to have an ultrasound to rule out fibroids and ovarian cyst. My question is should I be worried? The side effects of the Doxycycline is abdominal pain, so I can't tell if it's working or not.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2010
Birth Control Answer A16478
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Finish your course of Doxycycline and see if the pain still persists. If the pelvic pain is better then it will suggest healing. If the pain persists then it would signal other serious causes like endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and fibroid uterus. The ultrasound scan done will help in identifying the cause. However, causes like endometriosis and adhesions inside can only be identified by direct imaging like diagnostic laparoscopy. Be in regular follow-up with your gynecologist.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.