Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Pelvic inflammatory disease and abscesses

User Profile
I am a 33 year old female, overweight, who has always had a very irregular period - usually only once or twice a year. Sometimes it's light, sometimes it's heavy. There is no consistency. Over the last 6 or so months, I've been experiencing intense abdominal pain after orgasm, like a muscle spasm, always on my right side. The pain is relieved when I stand up or change my position. I also experience a dull ache in my anus similar to a muscle cramp after orgasm (without anal sex). I sometimes wake in the middle of the night with the same anal cramping but it's relieved by sitting on the edge of a bathtub. I've noticed small lumps forming on my arms and other places that the internet says are just fatty tissue cysts or something to that effect. I've also felt extremely fatigued this entire year. I don't have health insurance and am a freelancer who cannot afford frivolous doctor visits. Any ideas on what could be wrong with me?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A12796
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Pelvic inflammatory disease usually appears as a result of bacterial infection of the reproductive organs. Inflammation of the uterus or fallopian tubes may spread in the nearest pelvic tissue. The inflammation may be localized and may persist as an abscess located between the utherus and rectum, called cavum Douglasi. It is characterized by pain in the pelvis.

Given the data that you described, you may or may not experience pelvic inflammatory disease or an abscess in the cavum Douglasi. See a gynecologist for further diagnosis. You may need to take antibiotics.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a gynecologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.