Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Pectoral muscle pain or other breast condition?

Hi. I've been experiencing pain in the upper outer quadrant of my right breast for a couple of weeks now. This has been accompanied by shoulder-blade/back pain, occasional pain from the breast almost up into the armpit, as well as occasional pain around the ribs just below the breast. I have had some nipple sensitivity on the right breast for a while now too.

I actually first thought this was muscle-related, specifically for the pectoral muscles, because I had been doing some strenuous work around the time the pain started that involved that muscle group. However, these last few days a faint purplish-bruising around the areola has appeared, and I noticed today what looks like swelling--possibly of a lymph node--ON the collar bone, towards the center of my chest. It is maybe an inch-an inch and a half, and looks more as if it is on or just below the collar bone, rather than above it, which is puzzling to me as I thought lymph nodes were above the collar bone.

This area of my chest is not very sore, but when I compare it to my left side, it feels more inflamed/swollen. Could this all be muscle related, or do I need to see my doctor to help find out if something else is going on with my breast?

I am not sexually active or breast feeding, nor have I ever been pregnant. I'm 22, but there is a history of breast cancer in my immediate family.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2015
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Pain along with swelling of the breast could be due to inflammation or infection in the breast, also called as mastitis.

Prompt treatment with antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications is very essential for proper healing.

If the treatment is delayed, mastitis can progress to become a breast abscess that may require surgical draining, but this can almost always be prevented by treating mastitis promptly.

Other causes of such swelling in the breasts with pain, include benign cysts (fibroadenoma) which are common in women of childbearing age.

Hence, you might consult with your doctor at the earliest for prescription of proper medications or tests like ultrasound, to confirm the underlying cause.

I hope this helps.
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.