Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

PCR test not available in my country,so what can i do?

User Profile
hi
befor 10 days i did unprotected sex ,now i have sever tonsillitis but no any other symptoms like fever and skin rash,my tonsils enlarged with multiple white spot on it(pus) so i want to know

1_incubation peroid of HIV could be less than 10 days?
2_what are the characteristic feature of HIV tonsillitis?
3_ lymphopenia can occure during viral load?
4-chance of transmission ,from female to male?if u know by percentage pls??
right now i have sever severe depression,even i cant eat,and i think about it 24 hours a day, PCR test not available in my country,so what can i do?

best regards

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A31379
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

1. No window period of HIV detection with HIV 4th generation ELISA test, is at least 4 to 6 weeks. It cannot be less than 10 days.

2. Your symptoms are due to bacterial infection, and not due to HIV infection. HIV symptoms do not present within 2 weeks of exposure. Bacterial infections are associated with neutrophilia. Consult your doctor for a examination and prescription of antibiotics, to treat the infection.

3. During initial stages of any viral infection, the lymphocyte count is elevated, hence in your case lymphopenia is not a indicator of viral infection, but it is due to a differential increase in the neutrophil count.

4. The risk of transmission from Female to males is about 0.04% per act.

In case you think, you have HIV, first I would recommend you shed your inhibitions and consult a HIV counselor in person. A detailed history about your sexual partners, and other factors will help to evaluate the actual risk in your case, and this will help to decide if you need a HIV test or not. In case, this is not needed, your depression and anxiety will increase and you may end up repeating tests again and again, which might have been not needed in the first place.

In case, you do want to get tested, you can get a 4th generation ELISA test at least after 4 weeks after exposure, to get a valid and dependable result.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.