Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Pathology of infantile spasms

User Profile
My son was diagnosed with infantile spasm when he was 4 months old.He is on Kepra and topamax his case was found idiophatic ,of course the medicine did not help so we went for ATCH gel 6 weeks treatment ,it was great seizures stopped right the third day ,but now 3 weeks after the medicine he start to have seizures again ,they not that aggressive and he only has them once a day compere before 5 times a day ,but i am still scared because i know that wrong diagnosis may have bad outcome on his life.We did the EEg after the treatment and the doctor sad that the EEG is still abnormal ,but he do not see infantile spasm ,but cant you see that without having seizure? He developing pretty good but i do not know what to do his doctor do not even wanna talk to me no more ,my son is sees by his assistant which is only regis. nurse,i am desperate.Please help. Petra

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2009
Infants Answer A6917

Infantile spasms are a specific type of seizures found in children. If a specific pattern on the Electroencelography (EEG) is found and development regression is present, then the condition might be referred to as West syndrome.

Different causes might be responsible for the disorder, such as: birth injury, metabolic disorders, and genetic disorders. All these causes usually cannot be treated, but are important to find out if the damage done to the nerves is already finished or is still going on, which leads to a poorer prognosis.

The intellectual prognosis for babies with infantile spasms is rather poor. Less development regression might mean a better prognosis as the brain in children can be very adjustable because the healthy parts might take charge for certain of the functions of the damaged parts, if the damage is not too big.

You might want to ask a second neurologist about the EEG. The EEG shows electrical patterns produced by the brain cells. The electrical patterns are registered with several electrodes attached on the head. The patterns differ when they originate from healthy cells from the ones originating from the damaged cells. Simply put, the electrode that receives the unusual pattern indicates the area that is damaged. The neurologist might want to have more EEGs done for your baby in order to check if the damage is stopped or the disorder continues to worsen. He would also determine the frequency of EEGs needed to follow the condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.