User Profile
Hi i keep getting sharp pains where my heart is for no reason. Not affected by breathing or touch. Had for about 3 weeks on/off but about once a day. Also often feels tingling sensation like a small muscle spasm in the area. Had an ECG and X-ray a year ago when which were fine. Can not understand why i keep getting these pains. Please help. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A4815
You wrote:” Current medical status: Chest/heart pains.
Question: Hi i keep getting sharp pains where my heart is for no reason. Not affected by breathing or touch. Had for about 3 weeks on/off but about once a day. Also often feels tingling sensation like a small muscle spasm in the area. Had an ECG and X-ray a year ago when which were fine. Can not understand why i keep getting these pains.”

The major symptom you describe, (chest pain) is not sufficient to identify the possible cause. There are many causes for chest pain, certain of which originate from other parts of the body instead of the heart. Cardiac causes include: heart attack, angina, pericarditis, aortic dissection, coronary artery spasms. Noncardiac causes include: heartburn, panic attack, pleurisy, costochondritis, pulmonary embolism, sore muscles, injured ribs or pinched nerves, esophageal spasms, etc. The frequency (3 weeks on/off about once a day) and the age (18) might dismiss many of the previous mentioned diagnosis as highly unlikely. The duration of a single spasm is also important. However, further diagnostic tests including ECG and X-rays might be recommended. You might want to consult with your doctor or cardiologist.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.