Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Path to fitness and health ?

I weigh 235 lbs, 24 years old. I am about 5'11. I figure I am about 40-50lbs over weight. I dont eat alot but most if not all of the massive weight gain has been from exsessive alcohol consumption from about 18 years old. I have decided to change my ways to be healthy and drop down to about 185-195lbs. I just need to know if I am doing enough.

First, I stopped drinking by about 80% (about one or two days a week I drink now, on weekends)

I go to the gym 4 days a week minimum ( I run the olpytical 400 calories off , about 40 minutes straight running)

I have always eaten healthy so not much of a change for that except I tottally cut off fast food and take some omega-3 pills.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write in with your questions. I hope you have acknowledge to yourself the important decision you made to live a healthier lifestyle than you have in the past. If you are able to do this in a way that is sustainable and that is truly healthy for you I suspect you will find that your life satisfaction will increase. I would highly encourage you to work with a trusted medical provider and nutritionist who can help you determine if your current behaviors will help you reach your goals in a way that is medically safe - and determine if your goals are realistic for you. If you find that you are struggling with keeping up with your new, healthier behaviors and/or you find that you are becoming more strict with your new routine and/or you experience a negative change in mood, I'd highly recommend that you work with a licensed mental health professional who can help you maintain a healthy balance as you work towards your goals.

Best wishes,

Dr. Selby

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fitness , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.