Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Patch of flaky skin????

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Under both eyes, and partially on the nose I have two patches of flaky skin, that gets dry and flakes which sometimes has made the skin so thin there that it bleeds. More moisture then normal helps it, but it always comes back w/ in a day. It has never spread, therefore I don't believe it's a rash. I have had this for 3-4 years, however I am 22 yrs old and can not afford to go to a doctor.

Do you know what this is?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2011
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the red, dry, flaky skin that you are having under your eyes. I cannot precisely pinpoint a skin condition without examination but I can give you some differentials which can give you an idea about the dermatological condition that you may be having.

It can be due to seborrheic dermatitis (flaky, dry scales form on oily areas of face), eczema(a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema), rosacea or solar keratosis(small rough or scaly areas of skin due to damage from sun exposure).

My sincere advice is to consult a dermatologist and get it examined. Treatment is diagnosis specific and should be initiated after confirmation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.