Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Passing urine when coughing or sneezing

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Hi ,
for the past 2 years now whenever I cough, sneeze or laugh I tend to wet myself quite heavily. Particularly when I have a cold or the flu. I know it can be quite common in older women & women who have given birth, but it started at the age of 28 & I don't have any children. It's embarrasing & annoying because I have to carry a change of clothes with me everywhere I go as pads are not absorbent enough due to the amount or urine I pass.

I'd appreciate it if you could shed some light on this as my GP's have been no help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A12365
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

What you seem to be having is stress incontinence. Stress incontinence occurs when there is loss of urine if there is pressure/ stress on the bladder.

This occurs in coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercising or lifting something heavy. It occurs as a consequence of weak pelvic floor muscles.

Management includes pelvic floor muscle exercises involve Kegel's exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor.

Other management measures include vaginal coning exercises, pessaries and lastly, surgery. Please do consult a urologist for the same.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.