Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

passing tissue which looks like long white worms?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
I had a surgical procedure in late 2010, coronary ablation. urethral catheter was inserted for procedure. Since then I have been bothered with issues of the urethra, vagina, and bladder. Aside from urgency, burning, spasms in the area, I find I am now passing tissue which looks like long white worms. I have been treated with Cipro, had urodynamic workup, three urethral dilations. I have been living on Azo, Cranberry capsules, an antifungal cream, petrolatum rub, and there is no end to my misery. My primary care doctor doesn't have a clue, nor does my urologist or my gynecologist. I take meds for severe COPD and diltiazem for my heart issues. UTIs and discomfort seem to be a way of life now. I find I am passing this tissue more often. I have images of it if requested. Today I found a drop of urine on the toilet seat and it looked as is a red string, barely a couple of millimeters long was in the urine. My urine runs from clear to cloudy. I am 70 and had no sex in years.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2012
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A31702

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

It can be bladder debris. Parasitic infections like schistosomiasis and filariasis can result in worms in urine which appear as fleshy substances. Fungal infections like candidiasis too cause fleshy substance in urine. Bladder cancer, polyps and stones are other reasons. You should get this fleshy substance and urine cultured to confirm the diagnosis. A KOH examination can also be done to rule out fungal infection.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.