Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

passing several blood clots and the pain is very severe?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I'm really worried right now. I went to see my ob/gyn last month due to a missed period and pelvic pain. I practice abstinence, have been for 3 years now, so I'm not pregnant. He ordered a bunch of blood work and a transabdominal & abdominal ultrasound. I haven't gotten the results back from either yet, but have new issues. I finally got my period again (4 weeks late), but it's not a normal one. It's heavy, with a reddish/pink color, passing a several blood clots and the pelvic pain has become very severe to the point I can't get out of bed cause it seems to be shooting through my lower back when I stand, yet the pelvic pain itself seems worse laying down. I won't get my results till my doc appoint, which is a week away. What could be causing this?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A24862
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on your symptoms without examining you. The pain could be suggestive of possibility of endometriosis, pelvic adhesions, severe pelvic congestion, ovarian cysts etc. You should consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for follow-up evaluation (on an urgent basis) to look for the underlying cause (you can also consider calling up and reporting your current symptoms and scheduling an urgent appointment). Wait for your investigation results to come. Get started on appropriate treatment as indicated.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.