Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Paragard IUD allergic reactions?

I got a Paragard (Copper) IUD inserted about a month ago. Just about 2 days ago, I started to experience symptoms of contact dermatitis on my upper body (shoulders, chest, arms, face, neck). I was wondering if I was having an allergic reaction to the Copper IUD? I'm aware that there is Nickel and Copper in the device, and I'm not sure if I'm allergic to those metals or not. Hormonal forms of birth control are not ideal for me, so this is the best form of non-hormonal birth control I could use. Let's say this was an allergic reaction to the IUD, is there any way to cure the dermatitis without removing the IUD? I am desperate to make this work as this is the only form of birth control that works for me. In my opinion, I also do think that a month is a bit long to experience an allergic reaction from this device, so the IUD may not be the causal factor? I'm just confused because I haven't used anything else that would otherwise irritate my skin
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Allergic dermatitis with metal occurs if it touches your skin only? Does this IUD touches your skin? Of course not.So,it can not be responsible for your skin rashes.Do not go for a self diagnosis.Meet your GP and take his help.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.